Update a field based on the concatenation of several fields, one of which is from a related table using the attribute assistant.

10-09-2019 08:01 AM
KristenTuri
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to use the attribute assistant to concatenate several fields (civic number, road name, quadrant, etc) to create the resulting value in one field (full municipal address). One of these values is located in a related table.

Our municipality has a two-word standard for our road names, but in an ongoing effort to clarify what those abbreviations mean, we are trying to concatenate the full address with the full spelling of the road type (e.g: RD versus ROAD).

I have tried simply creating a join between the ADDRESS feature class the table, but the attribute assistant ignores the reference to the related table's field and concatenates the other fields properly. 

I believe I read somewhere that all the fields have to be in the same table to concatenate, but wanted to make sure I was not missing out on an Attribute Assistant method I was unaware of.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What you want to accomplish should be fairly straightforward with ArcPy cursors, if you are willing to do some Python coding.  If so, describe your data sets a little more, e.g., what the schema of the tables involved looks like and how the tables relate to each other.

0 Kudos
KristenTuri
New Contributor

These tables are related via the two-letter code for the street type. The related table simply has three columns: the two-word abbreviation, the spelled out road name, and Canada Post's abbreviation.

The output of the attribute assistant needs to be output into the FULL_ADDRESS attribute stored with the master addressing databases. 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking more specific in terms of describing your data structure since I can't really provide sample code for you to try with:

as three columns: the two-word abbreviation, the spelled out road name, and Canada Post's abbreviation.

0 Kudos