No editable layer - Feature Service

Jump to solution
06-05-2013 11:52 AM
ionarawilson1
Occasional Contributor III
I have been trying to figure this out for 3 days and I just can???t so I decided to write you to see if you could help me as I believe by watching your videos and talking to you this would be something very familiar to you.

I need to publish a feature service that is editable in ArcMap. I created one geodatabase (using sa and sde passwords). I created one user (LOADINGSARS) to publish the service and created a role to grant permissions to the user. Below is the syntax to create the role. I made sure in SQL, the Default Schema name was the same as the User name and I checked the gis_dataloader database role for the user.

Then I added a database connection using that user account (LOADINGSARS) and created a feature class. I then clicked on the feature class and granted all permissions not only to the role I created (gis_dataloader), but also to my operation system account (that is recognized by the server). When I try to add the user (LOADINGSARS) to the privileges in arcCatalog, it does not keep the user there (I guess because I am connected as the user?). I add LOADINGSARS to the privileges, check "select", insert, update and delete but when I click ok, the user disappears.

I made sure the data in Arcmap was editable and I published the feature service. Then I connected to the server as a user with my operation system account (iwilson) . When I add the feature service to ArcMap I get the error "No editable layers" and the warning "The workspace containing this data cannot be edited" (please see images). The feature service is editable in arcgis.com but not in ArcMap. What would be the problem? Thank you for any help!
USE EDIT_SARS CREATE ROLE gis_dataloader; GRANT CREATE TABLE TO gis_dataloader; GRANT CREATE PROCEDURE TO gis_dataloader; GRANT CREATE VIEW TO gis_dataloader; GO [ATTACH=CONFIG]25030[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25031[/ATTACH] 
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: JillPenney

Hi,

In order to edit a feature service as a user in ArcMap you have to first make a local copy of the data, make your edits, save, and then synchronize the changes back to the server. To do this,

• Open the feature service in ArcMap through a user connection

• Go to the table of contents, make sure its on the 'list by drawing order' view

• Right click the service layer and go down to Edit Features > Create Local Copy for Editing

• Now start an editing session, make edits, and save edits when you're done

• Right click the service layer again > Edit Features > Synchronize Local Edits with Server

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

In order to edit a feature service as a user in ArcMap you have to first make a local copy of the data, make your edits, save, and then synchronize the changes back to the server. To do this,

• Open the feature service in ArcMap through a user connection

• Go to the table of contents, make sure its on the 'list by drawing order' view

• Right click the service layer and go down to Edit Features > Create Local Copy for Editing

• Now start an editing session, make edits, and save edits when you're done

• Right click the service layer again > Edit Features > Synchronize Local Edits with Server

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
ionarawilson1
Hi Jill,

I think we don't need to make a copy anymore (I am  using 10.1). You can see instructions for editing a feature service without making a copy here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000005mm000000

Thanks
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, you don't have to make a copy of the data if you are consuming the feature service in a web application such as ArcGIS.com or ArcGIS viewer for Flex. However, if you wish to consume the feature service and make edits within ArcMap itself, you will need to use the workflow provided in the link below.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01m60000000s000000
ionarawilson1
Jill,

You are correct! Thank you so much for your help!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No problem! Glad you got it working 🙂
0 Kudos