Newbie issue with Spatial Join (points into polygons)

Jump to solution
04-13-2018 08:03 PM
Bryansum
New Contributor

Hello there,

I'm trying to use Spatial Join to join my point data with my polygon data. I'm trying to associate points (representing housing resale sites) into polygons (subzones in a country). My goal is to calculate the mean of all these resale points and associate them into a polygon subzone using Spatial Join.

Here's what I've been doing so far:

1) Target Feature - the polygon shapefile which demarcates the subzones

2) Join Features - the layer with the points (resale price per square foot, or resale_psf)

3) Join Operation - one to one

4) Field Map of Join Features - I added a new field called "resale_mean", which computes mean using the source "resale_psf" using the Merge Rule option

5) Match Option - Intersect

I'm getting these errors:

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
An invalid SQL statement was used.
The table was not found. [MP14_SUBZONE_NO_SEA_PL_Spati1]
Failed to execute (SpatialJoin).

I'm not sure if it's due to differing coordinate systems, although both points and polygon show up on the map just fine.

My points have long/lat values such as 

And my shapefile has X_ADDR and Y_ADDR such as 

31710 and 38310

And both are in the same area

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Bryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The coordinate systems need to be the same.

The addresses are not relevant the coordinate system of the file is, which appears that you need the points to be in a Geographic Coordinate system with decimal degrees for units (eg. GCS WGS84 )

Also.... this is not longitude/latitude since 103 can't be a latitude, perhaps you have them switched

Just make sure that everything is in the same coordinate system.

lining up on screen is irrelevant because of projection on the fly which makes things look like they aren't

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The coordinate systems need to be the same.

The addresses are not relevant the coordinate system of the file is, which appears that you need the points to be in a Geographic Coordinate system with decimal degrees for units (eg. GCS WGS84 )

Also.... this is not longitude/latitude since 103 can't be a latitude, perhaps you have them switched

Just make sure that everything is in the same coordinate system.

lining up on screen is irrelevant because of projection on the fly which makes things look like they aren't

Bryansum
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Apologies yes it was supposed to be 103 and 1.35 for long/lat respectively.

Thanks - I have managed to perform the spatial join and calculate the mean resale value in each polygon after matching the coordinate systems.

Regards,
Bryan

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Bryan you might want to mark this answered then.

0 Kudos