New SDE Features don't store Field Values

04-09-2014 08:51 AM
MichaelFischer
New Contributor II
Hi All,

I've got an odd problem.    We recently switched from ArcSDE 9.3 services to ArcSDE 10.2using direct connection.  (SQL Server 2008)

Now I have a couple of databases that I cannot create new features in.

In code, when I create a new feature,  set_Value the items and do a Store()  in the SDE geodatabase all the field values are null.  The shape contents are fine.   However for existing features I can set_Value and Store()  and the altered values are fine.

I'm using code to transfer data from a personal geodatabase to the SDE;   I have two SDE servers on one of them the Create/Store works fine... on the other it only stores the NULL  values.

Any ideas on what to look at on the server that might be causing this problem?

Thanks

Mike
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelFischer
New Contributor II
More information:

They are also deadlocks appearing in SDE_state_lock_def_insert at roughly the same time.

Anyone have any ideas?
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
So inserting new records works fine as far as the feature geometry, but no attribute values for that new feature can be set when performing the initial insert.  However, you have no issues setting attribute values for records that already exist.  Do I have this right?  When you insert new features, you could perform a Store() directly upon inserting the new geometry followed by an update of the same record using set_Value and another Store() operation.  In other words, if you know updates work fine but inserts are challenging because attribute values aren't respected (only geometry), then treat the newly-inserted record as an update rather than trying to set the attributes on insert.
0 Kudos
MichaelFischer
New Contributor II
So inserting new records works fine as far as the feature geometry, but no attribute values for that new feature can be set when performing the initial insert.  However, you have no issues setting attribute values for records that already exist.  Do I have this right?  When you insert new features, you could perform a Store() directly upon inserting the new geometry followed by an update of the same record using set_Value and another Store() operation.  In other words, if you know updates work fine but inserts are challenging because attribute values aren't respected (only geometry), then treat the newly-inserted record as an update rather than trying to set the attributes on insert.

Yeah, I could try a work around;  but I'd rather solve the root issue of the problem.

This code has been in production for 5 years;  under ArcSDE 9.3 and all was fine;  it's only when things moves to 10.2 that the problem has occurred;  but it only occurs on one SQL database and not the other;  so it leads me to believe there is a problem with the configuration of the server.
0 Kudos