Select to view content in your preferred language

New and Uneducated- Numbered Symbols  (Desktop 10)

Jump to solution
04-08-2013 06:42 PM
NoahHopkins
Emerging Contributor
Hello,

I have tried to do some extensive searching and cannot seem to find any resources on this topic so I assume it cannot be done or its so easy no one talks about it. I have Arc Gis Desktop 10 and I am trying to create a map that for symbols it will use sequential numbers, so Data Point 1 will have a symbol of circle with a 1 inside of it and so on (I have seen examples on Esri site). I do not have a lot of experience with the software but I am able to basically figure out the basics.

In addition, but less important, I would like to then take those numbered symbols and create a legend for my layout, so circle 1 translates to data point one in the legend.

really appreciate the help.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Hi Noah,

A quick way you can set this up is to use a combination of labeling and symbology.  You can create a sequential number field in the attribute table of your data and then label based upon that field.  You can then choose the option to "Place label on top of the point" so that these numbers will be directly in the middle of the circle symbology you will set. This option is set by right-clicking the layer in the Table of Contents > Properties > Labels tab > Placement Properties.  You can then set a desired circle symbology from the Symbology tab in the layer's properties.

To get a field populated with sequential numbers, access this link for details or use the Field Calculator on a new field and copy/paste the following syntax into the Pre-Logic Script Code (Be sure to choose Python as the Parser on the top of the Field Calculator window and check the box ON for 'Show Codeblock'):

rec=0
def autoIncrement():
global rec
pStart = 1 
pInterval = 1
if (rec == 0): 
  rec = pStart 
else: 
  rec += pInterval 
return rec

You can then copy/paste the following into the smaller box under the Pre-Logic Script Code box:

autoIncrement()

If you have any questions with any of the above info, let us know.  Thanks!

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Hi Noah,

A quick way you can set this up is to use a combination of labeling and symbology.  You can create a sequential number field in the attribute table of your data and then label based upon that field.  You can then choose the option to "Place label on top of the point" so that these numbers will be directly in the middle of the circle symbology you will set. This option is set by right-clicking the layer in the Table of Contents > Properties > Labels tab > Placement Properties.  You can then set a desired circle symbology from the Symbology tab in the layer's properties.

To get a field populated with sequential numbers, access this link for details or use the Field Calculator on a new field and copy/paste the following syntax into the Pre-Logic Script Code (Be sure to choose Python as the Parser on the top of the Field Calculator window and check the box ON for 'Show Codeblock'):

rec=0
def autoIncrement():
global rec
pStart = 1 
pInterval = 1
if (rec == 0): 
  rec = pStart 
else: 
  rec += pInterval 
return rec

You can then copy/paste the following into the smaller box under the Pre-Logic Script Code box:

autoIncrement()

If you have any questions with any of the above info, let us know.  Thanks!

Matt
0 Kudos
NoahHopkins
Emerging Contributor
Matt,

Thank you so much, I will give this a try. I was also wondering if you knew where I could find a base layer with each state as a feature, or how I could export a state from a base layer.

thanks,
NH
0 Kudos
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Noah,

You can download a national state shapefile from this website:

2012 Census Tiger Files
http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/geo/shapefiles2012/main

Matt
0 Kudos
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Noah,

Also, you can obtain a states file from the 'Data and Maps' folder that is included with your ArcGIS for Desktop license.  You may have to download this from your customer care portal if you have not done so yet.  Once downloaded, the states file is included at:

DataAndMaps\data_and_maps_2010_10\usa\census\states.sdc\states

Have a great rest of your week!

Matt
0 Kudos
NoahHopkins
Emerging Contributor
Matt,

This just revolutionized my life! Thanks! Do you know which file will give me just state outlines?

Eternally grateful,
NH
0 Kudos
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Noah,

Glad to hear!  The current states file you are using can be symbolized differently to show just the state outlines.  In the ArcMap Table of Contents, right-click on the states layer and choose Properties.  Go to the Symbology tab and then click on the colored square symbol in the Symbol box.  In the resulting Symbol Selector window, choose the style "Hollow" and then choose a desired Outline Color.  Click OK to exit all windows.

Please let me know if this accomplishes the result you are looking for.

Thanks,
Matt
0 Kudos
NoahHopkins
Emerging Contributor
Matt,

I apologize, I think I did not pose my question correctly. Currently I have tl_2012_us_state layer open and it has the whole US in states with this green puke color. I would like to segment out just the state of PA, is there a way to do that with this file or do I need to download another file from TIGER.

Thanks,

NH
0 Kudos
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Noah,

In ArcMap, click on the Select Features tool which is located on the Tools toolbar.  With this tool, click on the state of PA to highlight it.  Once it is highlighted, right-click the states layer in the Table of Contents and choose Data > Export Data.  In the Export Data window, give the output file a location and name.  This output file will contain only the state of PA since that is the only state you had selected in the map while exporting.

Let me know if this works out for you!

Matt
0 Kudos
NoahHopkins
Emerging Contributor
Matt,

Worked so well! Thank you so much!

-NH
0 Kudos