Near-tool with more than one nearest feature

Jump to solution
02-21-2017 12:10 AM
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Hello appreciated community,

I know the nearest-tool to find one nearest feature (within a radius). But this tool doesn’t fit for my goal anymore:

I have a feature-layer with road-segments (polylines) and a second feature-layer “intersections” (points).

The intersection points are of course very close to the roadsegments (less the 5 meter), when there is an intersection. One road segment has mostly two intersections (one at each end) but sometimes only one overall (dead end). On the other hand every intersection has three (T-junction) or four closed road segments.

Now, my wish is to join the intersections and the road segments, e.g. like with the nearest tool. But unfortunately I have mostly more than one element, which need to joined.

Maybe there is a kind of a buffer tool. So I need to find all intersections within a 5 meter radius of the road segments or all road segments within a 5 meter radius of the intersections.

Do you know any suitable tool in ArcMap or do you have any another idea? Thank you so much.

Andreas

p.s. ArcMAP 10.0, win 7 64

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if it is the best suited tool as per your requirement, but check Spatial Join.

Match Option: WITHIN_A_DISTANCE

Think Location

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if it is the best suited tool as per your requirement, but check Spatial Join.

Match Option: WITHIN_A_DISTANCE

Think Location
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta,

Once again: THANK YOU! You are so helpful!!!

It might seemed to be the right tool. But maybe I don’t understand the setting options.

If I choose "join_one_to_one" the join_count of the attribute table is right (mostly 2, like expected), but I don’t see two single FIDs of the joined features.

If I choose "join_one_to_many" the join_count is always 1 and but one right FID of the joined feature.

Did I something wrong?

Andreas

0 Kudos
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Sorry, now i got it. Sometimes ist better to sleep a night to think about it. The "join_one_to_many" give out in case of two different joins two rows in the Attribut table with the same TARGET_FID but different JOIN_FIDs.

So, the Spatial Join is absolutly the right tool: THANK YOU JAYANTA!