My Identify's Location show wrong coordinates ?

Jump to solution
04-27-2018 08:29 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I just discovered thht my Location in the Identify dialog box  had the wrong UTM. It says it is 13S but I am working on 13N because all of my data are suppose to be in NAD 1983 UTM Zone 13 N.

Why does it show up as 13S instead of 13N ???

How do I fix the problem ?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

check the map... that is the true utm system and it allows you to narrow your location down to one 6 degree x 8 degree block of longitude and latitude 

You may consider this old school, but the 'current' division of splitting utm zones into the (N)orthern  and (S)outhern hemisphere is 'relatively' new.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Could you attach screenshot for the projection of data frame and another one for the feature class.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Sure !

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You aren't in the southern hemisphere you are in utm zone 13S

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_coordinate_system#/media/File:Utm-zones....

Don't confuse S with S as in the first S is the utm zone grid designator and the generic S is a simplified variant for N or S

Clear???/

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

So it is correct that it is as in the  "Grid"  shows 13 S ?

I see.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

check the map... that is the true utm system and it allows you to narrow your location down to one 6 degree x 8 degree block of longitude and latitude 

You may consider this old school, but the 'current' division of splitting utm zones into the (N)orthern  and (S)outhern hemisphere is 'relatively' new.