MXD open empty

07-13-2015 05:44 AM
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello

We have a problem with saving MXD's

We create a MXD based on local FGDB layers. There are some group layers in it.

We save it to the desktop without any error messages.

We close ArcMap and reopen with the saved MXD. Only the group layers exist. All other layers are gone.

The layers does not have red exclamation mark, they are just not in the mxd.

Any idea?

Thanks

Mody

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JamesPierce
Occasional Contributor II

What version of the software, what is the license type and where locally are the FGDB layers stored?

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Standard 10.2

The data was taken from C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.2\TemplateData\TemplateData.gdb

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

What if you just create the MXD with the data from the FGDB only. No Group Layers. Same behaviour?

Also is this happening on multiple machines?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Some of my students have had trouble saving it to the 'desktop' as an issue in some of my classes.  Save it to a folder. The desktop is really not a good place to save anything

ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks all.

We tried saving to C:/temp - same results.

If the MXD have no groups it just opened empty.

The fact that the grouped saved shows that somthing did saved...

Thanks again

Mody

0 Kudos
enesarslan
New Contributor

I have too same problem with 10.4  , I had saved something issue . mxd but after I was opened ; I could see only .xls files . Those are my extencion. Help us please

3.jpg

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Did anyone find a solution to this? Our layers are disappearing from a 10.6.1 .mxd.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is your mxd setup like the OP where you have your layers in a local (c-drive) file gdb?

If not, what kind of data sources are you using?

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Michael, the user had layers from both our enterprise geodatabase (sql) and a file gdb on a network drive. I renamed his normal.mxt so we'd get a fresh one and tried repairing his installation. Waiting to hear back if the issue persists, but was hoping someone had a previously successful solution.

0 Kudos