Multiple Rows merging

08-20-2014 04:41 AM
MarcusHumphrey
New Contributor II

I have multiple rows that on a feature class, with lots of repeats in it, but showing different data, and want to find a way in which this could be merged to make a chart? Has anyone any help? I only have ArcView.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

A little bit more detail here please. Perhaps an example of your data and what you want to achieve.

I have just checked but tools like the "Pivot table" tool is at an advanced level.

Might need to do something with python, or export the data to excel to get to where you need to be.

Neil

0 Kudos
MarcusHumphrey
New Contributor II

Have looked at pivot table, and looks like it does what I need, do you knoww of anything that'll do the same as pivot table?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It might help if you post a sample of your data and explain in more detail what type of chart you want to create and what need to be done with the "repeats" (redundancy) in the data.

Also include the version of the software you´re using.

Kind regards, Xander

0 Kudos
MarcusHumphrey
New Contributor II

not posting data due to what the data is on.

data came from excel and had to do a spatial join and select on it.

ArcGIS 10.0

Looking to produce a chart with stacks on showing different depth levels, these depths are currently stored in seperate rows for each feature, there is multiple features in the table. Trying to find a way to get all the depths to show per feature.

0 Kudos
MarcusHumphrey
New Contributor II

example of data below. Is not the actual data however.

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

If you had ArcGIS 10.1 a standard join and an export of the data will multiply the rows to convert a one-to-many or many-to-many relationship to a one-to-one relationship.  That might make some charting options work for this problem.  Unfortunately, at 10.0 this is not an option and there is no tool within ArcGIS that does what the Pivot Table tool does for license levels lower than Advanced.

Excel can transpose columns and rows if you follow this procedure.  That is your best bet.

If you find that you actully need multiple rows like 10.1 can produce through a Join and Export, the Make Query Table tool is the best option for converting a one-to-many or many-to-many relationship to a one-to-one relationship at 10.0 or earlier.

0 Kudos