Multiple polyline vertex coordinates in single row

04-02-2020 06:38 AM
DavidPOLASEK
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm using Arcmap 10.4. and I'd like to add  XY coordinates to my polyline feature vertices, without creating a row for every vertex (as with Feature Vertices To Points) or only adding start, mid and end coordinates of the lines (as with Add Geometry Attributes). The idea is to have curvilinear lines separated by rows, with all of the vertices coordinates in different columns, in order to group every vertex of a line on the same row.

Would anybody know how to do this?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The idea is to have curvilinear lines separated by rows, with all of the vertices coordinates in different columns,

So, how many vertices are you talking about?  If you have a lot, having different columns for each vertex will quickly lead to issues.  Also, how do you plan to deal with lines that have different number of vertices?

DavidPOLASEK
New Contributor

The polylines are interpreted fracture traces on remote sensing data. They don't contain more than 5 vertices, as they are usually quite straight, so the amount of columns wouldn't be so big.

If the fields can bear null values, the different number of vertices by polyline should not be a problem, shouldn't it? The next step of my workflow is to export the table as an excel file to further process it.

0 Kudos
DavidPOLASEK
New Contributor

Thank you for your answer Joshua Bixby. I finally found a solution by converting the vertices into points (Feature Vertices to Points), adding XY coordinates and converting the table in a .csv file that was processed with an R script.

I am sorry for the time you have lost. I should have thought about other solutions before asking this question!

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

David, glad you found a solution, and no worries about asking your question on GeoNet.  Part of finding a solution can be having others ask you more questions to get you thinking about the problem differently, and GeoNet is here to help.

0 Kudos