Mosaic to new raster

Jump to solution
05-10-2017 05:30 PM
MichL
by
New Contributor II

I have 33 DEM tiles that I am trying to mosaic together using this tool in ArcGIS Desktop,

tiles

but I keep getting strange results.

All of the DEM pixel depths/sizes are 32 bit float, 1 band and are in NAD83, which I have been specifying in the tool. I'm saving it to a gdb and not specifying a cellsize. I am also leaving the mosaic operator and colormap modes as the defaults. This is the result I am getting:

mosaic_32bit

Wondering if anyone knows why this is happening.

I tried using a mosaic dataset, but I am having issues with performing additional manipulation of it after I added all of the tiles. I would prefer to use the mosaic to new raster as I know the additional analysis and manipulation I need to perform has worked in the past.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Someone else recently had this issue and it was solved by creating the new mosaic in a regular folder then moving the resultant raster back to the gdb.

https://community.esri.com/thread/194308-toruble-with-lidar-data-and-using-the-tool-mosaic-to-new-ra...

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Could you change mosaic operator to Mean and retry?

0 Kudos
MichL
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Abdullah!!  I tried your suggestion, but now I got this as the result:

mosaic_mean

I'm going to try the other suggestions now.  Hopefully one of these works!!

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are able create a Mosaic Dataset > Load the Rasters to it, then you could use Copy Raster to convert the Mosaic Dataset to a Raster Dataset.

Think Location
MichL
by
New Contributor II

I didn't get to try this suggestion.  It may work, but I didn't have the rasters in a gdb, only a regular folder and it would take time to import them and then try this.

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Someone else recently had this issue and it was solved by creating the new mosaic in a regular folder then moving the resultant raster back to the gdb.

https://community.esri.com/thread/194308-toruble-with-lidar-data-and-using-the-tool-mosaic-to-new-ra...

MichL
by
New Contributor II

This solution worked.  Thank you very much.  Strange that you have to do it this way though.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Could you check by create this mosaic with mosaic dataset instead of mosaic to new raster.

and please snapshot of footprint of raster.

0 Kudos
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

HI Mich - Thanks for asking your questions and welcome to the GeoNet community! I wanted to let you know that we're moving your question from the GeoNet Help group to the https://community.esri.com/community/gis?sr=search&searchId=00654b19-947b-4193-836a-6470cab8eb7f&sea... space so our Esri and user subject matter experts can further help answer this and future questions.  So you're aware on how and where to post your questions, here's a few quick tips and reminders:

1. First, use the GeoNet search (top right corner by your profile icon) to search and see if your question has already by asked/answered previously.
  2. If not, than we suggest reviewing the GeoNet Community Structure, to find the most relevant space to post your question. 
  3. The GeoNet GeoNet Help group is for questions and tips on how to use the GeoNet community platform not the Esri ArcGIS platform. Following steps 1 & 2 above will give you the best results for getting Esri product questions answered.
  4. This GeoNet 101 "How to Ask Questions on GeoNet" post is also a helpful guide to asking questions: https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback/blog/2016/08/15/community-news-and-tips-how-t...

Thanks again for contributing and I hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions.

Esri Community Strategist
MichL
by
New Contributor II

Thank you for the information Christopher.  I wasn't sure where to post, but now I know.

0 Kudos