Mosaic raster dataset issue

Jump to solution
06-21-2013 03:19 AM
WilliamLuscombe
New Contributor III
I am using this tool on elevation and imagery data. It processes fine but when viewing the mosaic raster dataset first time its all looks good but then I get a chessboard look rather than the overview as it should i.e elevation.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
You have to generate the overviews either by checking the option when you add the rasters or as a separate step.  Here is a blog that briefly discusses what is going on.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
You have to generate the overviews either by checking the option when you add the rasters or as a separate step.  Here is a blog that briefly discusses what is going on.
0 Kudos
WilliamLuscombe
New Contributor III
Thanks for that, but which blog as there are many?
0 Kudos
MelissaJohnson
Occasional Contributor II
I also have this issue.  I created the mosaic dataset in ArcMap Desktop (Advanced), chose the Update Overviews option when I loaded the Rasters.  I am trying to put a copy the mosaic dataset on an ArcMap (Basic) machine that will be used for Emergency Management and probably won't have an internet connection when used.  I am getting the checkerboard pattern.  Is it just because it is a Basic license?
0 Kudos
MelissaJohnson
Occasional Contributor II
I found this blog post http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/08/28/is-your-mosaic-dataset-look-like-a-checkerboard/ but it doesn't seem to address my issue.  I can see the mosaic images when I am zoomed in, it is the overviews that are showing the checkerboard.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Lisa

Nice blog post, that was the one that I provided in the hyperlink of the word blog above.

If the overviews are the checkerboard, then you have to confirm on the attribute table of the footprint that they were actually generated.  If they were generated, then try to use the path specified by them where you are trying to access the mosaic dataset.  You should not be able to hit that folder if it is a permission issue, so you will have to allow the user to access those overviews via folder sharing/security.  If they have not been generated, then use the Build Overviews tool.  Remember that the checkerboard is the default behavior when either the source raster or overview cannot be seen, but has been created.
0 Kudos