Mosaic Raster Dataset - Hillshade Function - Black result

02-09-2012 07:42 AM
WarrenMedernach
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

I have a mosaic raster dataset of surface elevation data.  If I use the Image Analysis window with this dataset and create a hillshade image, it works great.

However, if I try to add the Hillshade Function to the mosaic dataset itself, the result is a black image?  I've tried re-calculating statistics after this function was added and the result is the same, black image.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Warren M
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor
I tried adding hillshade function to a mosaic dataset and is working for me. When I initially added the hillshade function, the mosaic dataset became black. However, after calculating statistics, it was displaying as expected. what service pack are you on? Make sure you have the latest service pack for ArcGIS Desktop. Do you have background processing ON? If so, try disabling background processing (Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options > Uncheck Enable under Background Processing) and calculate statistics for your mosaic dataset again. See the attached video for details.
0 Kudos
WarrenMedernach
Thanks Prasanta,

I was doing this in ArcCatalog, and I am on SP 3.  I had tried Calculate Statistics but that didn't work either, until I turned off the background processing...

Thanks so much for the tip.

Warren
0 Kudos
JanPacak
New Contributor
I had a similar problem.
Mosaic function hillshade (same problem i discoveder with aspect func.) can't set in ArcCatalog aplication but in "Include-Arcatalog" in Arcmap it was ok on my PC and Function was applied (as on Video)

Thanks for video
0 Kudos
deleted-user-ATjHIWsdQYmT
Can anyone elaborate as to why having background processing on/off makes a difference?
0 Kudos