Mosaic Dataset vs MaxPS and HighPS values

08-08-2023 11:29 AM
Markbe_utco
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2

I have two large (~800 GB each) imagery datasets (2021 and 2023) each with a 3-in and 6-in resolutions. The 3-in and 6in images do not overlap within the same year so I chose to create a source mosaic dataset for each year & resolution resulting in 4 datasets: 2021-3in, 2021-6in, 2023-3in, and 2023-6in.

I create overview files for each of the 4 source mosaic datasets.

I then create a new Imagery2021 mosaic dataset using the two source mosaic datasets 2021-3in and 2021-6in.  Everything displays fine I can zoom in/out and can see the imagery at all display levels

I checked the MinPS/MaxPS and LowPS/HighPS values for the Imagery2021 mosaic and they match the range of values from the individual source mosaic datasets

When I create a new Imagery2023 mosaic dataset using the two source mosaic datasets 2023-3in and 2023-6in I can only see the image when I zoom into a large scale.

When I check the MinPS/MaxPS and LowPS/HighPS values for the Imagery2023 mosaic only they do not match the range of values from the individual source mosaic datasets.  If I go in and change the MinPS/MaxPS and LowPS/HighPS mannually I can view the Imagery2023 mosaic at all levels.

What am I missing between the Imagery2021 and Imagery2023 such that one is finding and displaying properly and the second I need to update the MinPS/MaxPS and LowPS/HighPS manually for it to display properly?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

have you already calculated statistics and built pyramids for each of those datasets too?

0 Kudos
Markbe_utco
New Contributor III

No, I did not statistics or pyramids for any of the mosaic datasets.

From my understanding pyramids are essentially the default overview layers and shouldn't need to be created when when creating new overviews. 

I've been using https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/imagery/mosaic-dataset-overviews-pro-.htm as my guide whether to create pyramids or not.

Although, the .tif tiles that make up the 2021 mosaics do have their own individual pyramid .ovr files.  Good thought I'll have to check to see if having the individual pyramid files makes a difference.

FYI: The main reason I did not calculate pyramids for the individual *.tif files is storage space.  The *.ovr pyramid files from the 2021 imagery already take up approx 50GB and I'm sure the 2023 would be about the same.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

do you have a pci thunderbolt4 adapter with a couple large fast SSD external drives (one of reading and one for writing) to process the pyramids with?

0 Kudos
Markbe_utco
New Contributor III

Nah, it's all being processed on the server.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

do you point your ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2 scratch workspace to the server too?

0 Kudos
Markbe_utco
New Contributor III

Most likely so, because I use ArcGIS Pro directly from the server since this is the only machine from which I process imagery.

0 Kudos