Select to view content in your preferred language

Migrating SDE geodatabase from Workgroup to Enterprise

04-09-2013 12:45 PM
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III
Hello everyone,

I have some questions about migrating a geodatabase from the Workgroup level to Enterprise (see below).  I have successfully converted our production to a test enterprise one and it seems to be working fine, but I want to make sure I followed the correct steps.  Eventually I�??ll be doing this again to migrate our production to new production and I don�??t want to get stuck in a dead-end.

Our legacy production environment has these specifications: ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP2, SDE/Server Workgroup Standard, SQL Server Express 2008 R2.  Clients connect to SDE through direct connect.

I am working in a new test environment with these specifications: ArcGIS 10.1 SP1, SDE/Server Enterprise Standard, SQL Server 2008 R2.  This is going to be our new production environment once testing is complete.  Clients will connect to SDE through direct connect (i.e. I am not planning to use the SDE app server at this time).

Here are the migration steps I took:

• Post/reconcile versions

• Backup workgroup geodatabase using ArcCatalog 9.3.1

• Restore workgroup geodatabase from backup using SQL Server 2008 R2 tools (restore not available in ArcCatalog 10.1)

• Sync users

• Connect to geodatabase in ArcMap 10.1 and conducted some tests, which have been successful.  Even the historical version functionality seems to still work properly.

Here are the questions:

1) Can anyone provide some insight  about the difference between running a backup through ArcCatalog-Administration-Backup versus doing a backup in SQL Management Studio? 

2) I have seen some help documents recommend creating a new blank geodatabase on the new server and copy �?? paste the layers using ArcCatalog.  Why would you want to do the migration this way unless you have to rename the geodatabase?  Or, are there some Enterprise features that will not be enabled if I do the backup/restore versus the copy/paste into new?

3) Another question is about using detach/attach: Vince Angelo posted some steps in another forum and it looks like I should use detach and attach when I move the production geodatabase because that �??more cleanly shuts a geodatabase down than backup �?? restore does.�?�  Here were his steps:

• Post/reconcile, etc with 9.3 tools

• Verify geodatabase integrity

• Detach database

• Copy files to new server

• Attach database

• Sync users

• Upgrade database to 2012

• Use Desktop 10.1sp1 to reverify

• Use Desktop 10.1sp1 to upgrade

If I do this, would I follow the same path I did for the test (i.e. Detach using ArcCatalog, Attach using SQL Management Studio)?  In this case, it sounds like you move the actual MDF file rather than a BAK file.

Thanks!!
-Brian
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JillHalchin
Occasional Contributor II

Brian,

Did you try the detach-attach route?  I've got to move several workgroup geodatabases to enterprise soon. I tried that approach going from personal sde to workgroup.  It was easy and worked beautifully.  I'm working with 10.2, so I may be up against other issues, because Esri has changed how you authorize enterprise databases.

Jill

0 Kudos
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

Jill,

Yes I ended up following the steps listed above and it worked fine to go from workgroup to enterprise.  That was for 10.1, and I think 10.2 would be the same.  I don't recall having to authorize it, but perhaps I did.  That is done through a GP tool now and not the command line.  Good luck!

Brian

0 Kudos
JillHalchin
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks, Brian. I wound up using restore from backup and it worked like a

charm. No authorizing needed. One advantage to restoring rather than

detach-attach is that it leaves the original GDB operational until I can

get MXDs repointed the new location.

Jill

Jill Halchin

Archeologist / GIS Coordinator

Southeast Archeological Center