Select to view content in your preferred language

Merging 4 sids into one layer

03-29-2012 12:12 PM
DanPrice
New Contributor II
I have sid aerial photos of 4 townships that cover my community. I was wondering if there was a toolbar function to combine these 4 .sid raster files in to one layer. 

Working on ArcView 10.  No SDE.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor
I have sid aerial photos of 4 townships that cover my community. I was wondering if there was a toolbar function to combine these 4 .sid raster files in to one layer. 

If you are trying to merge 4 SIDs into a single raster dataset, you can use the mosaic to new raster geoprocessing tool, or use processing tool (mosaic) from Image Analysis window in (ArcGIS 10) - see the screen capture below. However, please remember that if you are mosaicking using image analysis window, the output is temporary. You will need to make it permanent by exporting it from the TOC. Also, when saving your image, you will not be able to save it as a SID and output raster might be lot larger in size than your original SIDs.
Using the Mosaic button on the Image Analysis window
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13119[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
Two other options for combining the images into a single layer are the Raster Catalog and the Mosaic Dataset.  The unmanaged raster catalog and the mosaic dataset will reference the source imagery without creating new datasets.  This may be a better option since MrSID images are high compressed and tend to increase the output size.
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Just re-read your post.  ArcEdit or ArcInfo is required for creating Mosaic Datasets.  A Raster Catalog should work for you.  Create a File Geodatabase > Right click > New Raster Catalog.  Name the catalog and choose the option for unmanaged raster catalog.  After catalog is created, right click and load data.  Select rasters to load.  The raster catalog will bring in you imagery as a single layer.  There are some additional display options within ArcMap from the Raster Catalog properties.
0 Kudos