Mass Update Attribute Table Rows

Jump to solution
01-25-2018 02:45 PM
ZhanShi
New Contributor

Hi~ Everyone, 

I want to mass update existing 3,000 rows in attribute table using an excel table without deleting the geometry. Any tools or methods can do that?

Thank you

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Xander,

Maybe I should explain more about the python script listed above.

I have a set of parcels with different attributes that need to be updated weekly. The engineer has an excel sheet, that I initially generated from the attribute table, that he updates various fields for each parcel of land. To uniquely identify each land parcel, I have to match up two attributes. What the python script does is, see if the two attributes match up, then use an update cursor to change the fields.

I use a CSV file since I get an excel file each week and just save it as a CSV and run it from there. Now, I do not know enough about python and other such things to make it more efficient but this works for me. I am not sure if it would be speedier to take the excel table to a geodatabase each time versus just a CSV since it's normally about 200 records.

So, what I'm saying is, this exact script would not necessarily work for the OP but it's similar to what I use for having to match up two fields (without creating a new field that concatenates the other two, etc.). I hope that makes sense.

0 Kudos
ZhanShi
New Contributor

Thank you very much, but I am not familiar with Python script, I have plan to learn more about it. 

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

excel to table

join table to fc

calculate field using new field in the join

remove join.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Joe, the calculate field thing was mentioned earlier. The OP said:

Because I have 3,000 rows with 20+ fields, Calculate Field can not update so many things in one-shot.
0 Kudos
ZhanShi
New Contributor

Just an update, finally, I used field calculator to update each filed after joining the two tables. It takes long to calculate 3000+ records, but it works. Thank you for all your input~ 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I'm glad to hear that using field calculator essentially solved your issues!

0 Kudos