Manually editing pixel values in ArcGis? How ?

06-20-2013 09:29 AM
SamHuang
New Contributor II
Hi guys,

This issue has troubled me the last couple days and I'm turning to you guys in the hopes of actually finding out what the best way is to solve this problem.

I have a dem file that I'm looking to manually edit specific individual pixel value. However, I'm not sure how to go about it in ArcGIS. IF anyone who has came across this issue or knows how to resolve. Please let me know.

Much appreciated!
18 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Sam -

If you have the Spatial Analyst extension, you could use the CON geoprocessing tool.  For example, I have an elevation surface as my input conditional raster.  I create a SQL expression of VALUE = 1000.  If this evaluates as TRUE, calculate the input constant value as 1001.  Else the SQL expression evaluates as false, then return the original elevation surface cell value.  The tool will create a new output raster.  Make sense?

Regards,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
SamHuang
New Contributor II
Hi Robert,

My concern with this is that what if I only specifically want to edit only one or two pixel values within theraster image? I'm afraid it won't work since I don't wish to replace all the value within the raster image but only just a couple ones.

Thanks,

Sam
0 Kudos
JeffJalbrzikowski
New Contributor II

Sam, a coworker of mine was looking for the same functionality just yesterday.  I asked around and got suggestions similar to what you've already received, but then I did some web searching and found this extension/add-on:  GitHub - haoliangyu/ares: ArcMap Raster Edit Suite

I downloaded it and tested it on a GRID raster I had sitting around, it seemed to work for me.  It has a very nice design to its toolbar too, the icons match up with the Esri icons!

Is this the functionality you were looking for?

0 Kudos
Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

I've just tried this but get the error "void startEditing()" when I try to start editing any rasters. I've converted to GRID and starting a regular edit session first but no joy. Did you come across any similar problems?

0 Kudos
Oliver_Burdekin
Occasional Contributor II

Incidentally I was only working with a small section of a relatively small raster and went with the raster to point option. Edited the points, then converted back to raster setting snap raster as the original. It worked for my purposes but the addin looks like it would make things much easier.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Hmmm...to my knowledge not with core software but I could be mistaken.  I did find the ARIS GRID Editor for ArcMap at http://www.aris.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=210:aris-grid-editor-for-arcmap&cati... that would do what you want.  An option to consider...

Regards,

Robert
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Raster Painting would work if you had two values as you would for ArcScan, but since you sound like that is not what you want, you might consider the workflow for how to use the Con Statement to alter the value for just those select ones.
0 Kudos
SamHuang
New Contributor II
Hmmm...to my knowledge not with core software but I could be mistaken.  I did find the ARIS GRID Editor for ArcMap at http://www.aris.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=210:aris-grid-editor-for-arcmap&cati... that would do what you want.  An option to consider...

Regards,

Robert

Hey John,

I've looked into that already. Unfortunately that option will not work as it requires you to have an official licenece. You are able to edit through the program but can not save that modified layer.
0 Kudos
RinkeHeida
New Contributor III

The latest version of ARIS Grid & Raster Editor for ArcMap (https://www.aris.nl/gridrastereditor_arcmap) will let you do a limited number of edits in an edit session for free during the trial period. These edits are saved instantly so you can really check out whether it suits your work.

gridrastereditor_freehand.png

In this tool many common drawing tools can be used on raster data like: pencil/freehand, line, polygon, paintcan, replace specific values, selection area.

Besides the ESRI GRID format now also many other raster formats are supported like BIL, BIP, BSQ, ENVI, Erdas IMG, FGDBR, (Geo)TIFF, ...