Manual data registration with ArcSDE probelms

04-29-2010 04:52 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: gstaats

I am experiencing problems registering data with ArcSDE. I have a table with SDO_Geometry that is being registered with ArcSDE, but no geometry is being displayed in ArcCatalog or ArcMap. I can view the attribute table, but not geometry. There are no errors while trying to view the geometry - nothing is rendered. Any Ideas? Here is my table schema:

CREATE TABLE LRS (
LRS_SPATIAL_ID NUMBER(10,0),
NLF_ID VARCHAR2(14),
DISTRICT_NBR NUMBER(10,0),
JURISDICTION_CD VARCHAR2(1),
TRANS_ROUTE_CD VARCHAR2(2),
COUNTY_ABREV3_CD VARCHAR2(3),
CTL_BEGIN_NBR FLOAT,
CTL_END_NBR FLOAT,
LEAVE_CD VARCHAR2(1),
REENTER_CD VARCHAR2(1),
ROAD_STATUS VARCHAR2(1),
TRANSACTION_CD VARCHAR2(1),
GEOMETRY MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY, primary key (LRS_SPATIAL_ID) )

LRS_SPATIAL_ID is the PK and being used as the ObjectID. The data is in Ohio State Plane South '83, units of meters. The data only contains lines and the table has a single geometry column. Is there somethings that  Iam doing wrong? Thanks.

Below if the command I used to register the data.

sdelayer -o register -l LRS,GEOMETRY -u user -p password -P High   -e sl -t SDO_GEOMETRY -C  LR
S_SPATIAL_ID,SDE  -G 32123 -x 0,0,10000
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: vangelo

You don't say what version of ArcSDE you are using, but ArcSDE has
had sufficient problems with primary keys over the years that it is
probably your issue.  This is especially true if you make the registered
rowid column SDE-set *and* a primary key.

Try creating the table *without* the PK, registering it, then if you choose
to use a USER-set rowid, adding a primary key post-registration.

- V
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response. I am using ArcSDE 9.3.1 running on Windows Server 2k8 64. DB is Oracle 11G R2 running on an AIX box.

I wanted to try something else... So I created a test table in oracle.
CREATE TABLE Test (
ObjectID NUMBER(10,0) unique not null,
NLF_ID VARCHAR2(14),
GEOMETRY MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY )

And then inserted 3 features
INSERT INTO TEST (objectid, NLF_ID, Geometry)
VALUES (1,
'Feature1',
SDO_GEOMETRY(
      NULL,
      SDO_POINT_TYPE(12, 3, NULL),
      NULL,
      NULL)
);

VALUES (2,
'Feature2',
SDO_GEOMETRY(
      NULL,
      SDO_POINT_TYPE(10, 16, NULL),
      NULL,
      NULL)
);

VALUES (3,
'Feature3',
SDO_GEOMETRY(
      NULL,
      SDO_POINT_TYPE(18, 19, NULL),
      NULL,
      NULL)
);

I tried to register this table with ArcSDE as well.. It would register, but again, I could not see the points created.

C:\Windows\system32>sdelayer -o register -l TEST,GEOMETRY -u user -p pass -P High   -e p -t SDO_GEOMETRY -C OBJECTID,SDE  -x -180,-90,1000
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The data set of three points that i created can display now. I had to add a spatial index ()using tool in toolbox in ArcCatalog.) After that, I could get the points to display.... When I tried the same thing with the LRS feature, I got an error saying a layer doesn't exist... Do I need to create a layer with the SDELAYER -o add option?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
"sdelayer -o register" is the correct command to notify ArcSDE you wish to use a
table with SQL geometry (ST_GEOMETRY or SDO_GEOMETRY) as an ArcSDE layer.

"sdelayer -o add" creates a new geometry column in an existing non-spatial table
(which may be SDELOB, ST_GEOMETRY, or SDO_GEOMETRY storage, depending
on DBTUNE parameters).

You *cannot* use "sdelayer -o add" on a table which has had "sdelayer -o register"
executed on it.  It sounds like your SDE registry has been corrupted by a failed
"register" -- time to contact Tech Support for assistance.

- V
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: gpitaru

I'm having the same issue, but with Oracle views that I registered manually in ArcSDE. The views show up in ArcCatalog as feature classes, and I can preview the table, but previewing the geography fails. No error or anything, just doesn't preview. The views registered in SDE without issue and have an entry in the ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA and USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA tables. I can't run Add Spatial Index tool on views. Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cooperc

FWIW, I had issues similar this on SQL Server. My problem was that after I registered the business table, the layer envelope was empty. Had to calculate it like so:

sdelayer -o describe_long -l thirdpartywellssurface,shape -i sde:sqlserver:hou-sqlprd10 -s hou-sqlprd10 -D sde -u swngis -p pass

and then my featureclass drew no problem
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think I have a solution for the problem I was experiencing...

The SRID used with the 3rd party software wasn't recognized - it was 41104. I used Oracle Spatial to update the SRID of the geometry to 32123 (which is recognized) and updated the SRID to the USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA table. After registering the data with ArcSDE, I created a spaital index for each feature using ArcCatalog. After creating the index, the features displayed.
0 Kudos