Making raster file smaller without compression

Jump to solution
05-18-2015 04:23 AM
DitlevReventlow
Occasional Contributor II

Hey everyone.

Is there anyway to make a raster file smaller without compressing it? It is simply a matter of disk space and processing speed.

Is this by any means possible?

Thank you.

Best regards

Ditlev Reventlow.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

If the output is into a file geodatabase, the format is fgdb,and the filename has no extension.  If you are exporting to tiff, png or anything then the output needs to be a subdirectory (not into the *.gdb), with the appropriate file extension.

If you just need a reduced resolution image which will also make the file size smaller, then try resample, or even copy raster with the new cellsize set in the environement settings.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What format are you using?  simply changing the format will help.  Are using tif, Esri Grid etc.  Try outputs to various formats for the same input file to compare the differences.

DitlevReventlow

Thank you. It is a tiff file. Do you know which format has the lowest storage space?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ditlev,

Although I would not recommend conversion of TIFF file to any other format, but if you really need it, you could convert it to any lossless format (e.g. PNG). Keep in mind, PNG supports upto 3 bands of raster.

Think Location
DitlevReventlow

Hey Jayanta.

The problem is that I need a LUCL map but the resolution of it is not that important. Therefore I would originally use the MODIS LUCL, but as we talked about in the other thread this file could not be transformed to WGS 1984 because of its Datum. Therefore  I need to use another map and this big size map is already in WGS 1984. But It is not so important that the quality of the map goes down in the process.

0 Kudos
DitlevReventlow

I have converted the TIFF to PNG now. However, when I go into source, it lists the format as FGDBR and the size is still the same. What could the reason be for this?

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

If the output is into a file geodatabase, the format is fgdb,and the filename has no extension.  If you are exporting to tiff, png or anything then the output needs to be a subdirectory (not into the *.gdb), with the appropriate file extension.

If you just need a reduced resolution image which will also make the file size smaller, then try resample, or even copy raster with the new cellsize set in the environement settings.

DitlevReventlow

Great, resampling was exactly the tool that I needed. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos