Making geocoded addresses match parcel data

Jump to solution
10-16-2013 02:25 PM
OliviaDeSimone
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I am geocoding about 700 addresses in two neighborhoods in the City of Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh has many odd streets and its street layout is very asymmetrical.  Its street do not always exhibit a typical or consistent address numbering system.  I am supposed to make the geocoded addresses lay in each of their respective parcels, but I am finding that the geocoded addresses are several parcels away from the parcels they are supposed to be in.  I know it is possible to offset the geocoded addresses from the streets, but is it possible to individually fine tune the location of the geocoded points?

I've tried including a small photo of my data to illustrate the issue.  As you can see, those three geocoded points are all lumped into the one large parcel at the end of the street.  Not including the geocoded point closest to the street intersection, the points' addresses match the two slimmer parcels next to the larger parcel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28387[/ATTACH]

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Why not geocode against your parcels?  Do they have a parcel address field of some sort? If so, you are good to go.

Given the choice between geocoding against streets where you are (as you've noticed) interpolating against a range on a linear feature and absolute location provided by parcels, the latter wins hands down.
That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Why not geocode against your parcels?  Do they have a parcel address field of some sort? If so, you are good to go.

Given the choice between geocoding against streets where you are (as you've noticed) interpolating against a range on a linear feature and absolute location provided by parcels, the latter wins hands down.
0 Kudos
OliviaDeSimone
Occasional Contributor
Oh yeah, that would make sense, wouldn't it?  Thank you!  I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that myself, as it seems so obvious now.

The address locator I made from the parcel data worked well-- it mapped 72% of the points.  The remaining points were not plotted largely because the parcel data is inaccurate, and it reports some addresses lumped together into one parcel with one address.  For example, I need to map two addresses right next to each other (1100 and 1102).  I believe that there are two addresses to this building because parcels recognizes the building as only having the address 1100, and therefore 1102 isn't being geocoded.  Can you think of anything that I can do to fix this?  My first intuition is that I should go into the parcel data and manually create the missing parcels.  However, besides being time consuming to complete for 150 unmatched parcels, it will not be creating reliable or accurate data.

Thanks again for the previous answer, and sorry to bombard you with  an addition question!
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Oh yeah, that would make sense, wouldn't it?  Thank you!  I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that myself, as it seems so obvious now.

The address locator I made from the parcel data worked well-- it mapped 72% of the points.  The remaining points were not plotted largely because the parcel data is inaccurate, and it reports some addresses lumped together into one parcel with one address.  For example, I need to map two addresses right next to each other (1100 and 1102).  I believe that there are two addresses to this building because parcels recognizes the building as only having the address 1100, and therefore 1102 isn't being geocoded.  Can you think of anything that I can do to fix this?  My first intuition is that I should go into the parcel data and manually create the missing parcels.  However, besides being time consuming to complete for 150 unmatched parcels, it will not be creating reliable or accurate data.

Thanks again for the previous answer, and sorry to bombard you with  an addition question!

Unless you are the one assigned to editing parcels, you are better off to avoid going down that road.  In the business I'm in, 9-1-1 dispatch, I like to have 'defendable' data.  For me, it's an elected official (county recorder) that is in charge of editing parcels.  I prefer the legal beagles chase after him; he has way deeper pockets...

That said, imho, you have a couple of choices: create a composite locator with your parcel locator listed first and your streets locator listed second.  Since you are not completely thrilled with the way the streets work for you, that may not be optimal.  The second option is to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty; manually rematch the remaining 28% to where they 'should' be.  If my math is right, that's less than 200 addresses you'll need to rematch.  If I had a dollar for every address I've rematched over the years, I wouldn't be posting to this forum; I'd own it...
0 Kudos
ToddZimmerman
New Contributor III
Rather than editing the parcels, you could create your own address points layer. You would start by generating points for the centroid of each parcel and assigning the parcel address to the point. Then you can start adding points for the missing addresses. You can be very specific down to the building or sub-building level then if you want.

Esri has an Address Data Mangement template available to assist with that
available here.
0 Kudos