Making a User a DBO

09-09-2014 01:29 PM
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to figure out how to make a user a dbo in our enterprise geodatabase (SQL Server 2008 Express) and I am having issues...

According to ESRI Docs: In the case of dbo users, a dbo schema is present in all databases by default; any login that is dbo in the database will store data in the dbo schema.

Maybe I'm not mapping the user to db_owner right, but if I add them to the db_owner role and schema, shouldn't the user add data to the enterprise geodatabase as the dbo instead of their user schema.  Ex:  instead of MyDB."steven".MyData shouldn't it be MyDB.DBO.MyData if I mapped the user to the db_owner role and schema?  Or does the user always inherit their own schema when they add data? Or is the dbo always the sysadmin?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AaronCohen
New Contributor III

Start reading here: User privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

I understand all of that.  Those are permissions inside ArcCatalog.  In this situation, multiple people will be loading data into the geodatabase (windows authentication).  They will need to be able to apply permissions to the data within that geodatabase but you can only apply permissions on data that you own.  That's why I was wondering if you made a couple users the dbo, shouldn't the users be able to apply permissions to each others data?

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

I found what I need in this post.

Thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Proceed with caution.  Maybe I'm old enough to be old school: for all the years I've been working in databases, spatial and more traditional,  dbo is a sacred right.  Too many can/will be too many... Just sayin...

That should just about do it....