.lyr or raster image to point shapefile

04-29-2011 07:15 AM
SeanGerhardt
New Contributor II
Would anyone happen to know how to convert a .lyr or raster image to a point shapefile? I've heard that .lyr conversions to points isn't possible in older software, but I was wondering if this changed at all.

What I eventually want to do is a pixel by pixel analysis, so I would need to convert every pixel of a layer or raster image(landsat 7 image) to a point. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
Try using the Raster to Point tool.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
Use the Raster to Point tool under Conversion Tools
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
Do you have to convert it to a shape file? There are many ways to do a pixel by pixel analysis on a raster file.
0 Kudos
SeanGerhardt
New Contributor II
Hey guys,

The Raster to Point tool worked perfectly, but only if the .lyr has associated "data". For example, a Landsat image .tiff will convert to a point shapefile, but a esri world imagery .lyr will not. Interesting.

I had to convert to a shapefile since I will eventually take the interstection of those points from the pixels of the .lyr with another shapefile.

The Landsat image was very low resolution, yielding a point every 30 meters or so, which is not as accurate as I would like. Does anyone know if MODIS imagery files are readibly available somewhere on the web?

Thanks again for all the help! : )
0 Kudos