Different UTM zones

05-03-2011 06:11 PM
EvertonParaguassú_da_Silva
New Contributor
Good evening my friend!

We are developing a GIS project for the state government of Bahia / Brazil. The problem is that our state is divided into two UTM zones 23/24. I wonder when it comes to 10 ArcSDE and Oracle 11g, if we could model the database using a table for each entity and if you have any examples.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
UTM zones exist because, once you get toward the edges, the error becomes unacceptable
for high precision tasks.  There is still room for lower precision tasks ~2-3 degrees into the
neighboring zone, but you might be better off using an Albers projection which covers your
area of interest properly.   I don't recommend you split your data across two different zones,
then try to align them on the fly.

- V
0 Kudos
EvertonParaguassú_da_Silva
New Contributor
UTM zones exist because, once you get toward the edges, the error becomes unacceptable
for high precision tasks.  There is still room for lower precision tasks ~2-3 degrees into the
neighboring zone, but you might be better off using an Albers projection which covers your
area of interest properly.   I don't recommend you split your data across two different zones,
then try to align them on the fly.

- V

I wold like to know if you have a modeling case about the problem outlined ? Today we are splitting into two Feature Class for example:

PGO_Municiple_23 (all municiples contained in zone 23) and PGO_Municiple_24 (all municiples contained in zone 24)

But i would like to store in only one Feature. I would like to know if i can store two UTM zones in the same Feature Class.

Thanks a lot.

bests regards.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
No, all data in any single table must be in *one* projection. You must reproject all data
into a common projection.

- V
0 Kudos