Select to view content in your preferred language

Linking tables and automatically populating fields

05-25-2011 08:02 AM
TrevorClark
New Contributor
Hello,

I have two layers in our transportation topography.  Roads and sidewalks.  The roads have a unique ID assigned to them and I want to link the two layers based on that ID number and automatically populate the street names into the sidewalk layer based on what Road ID the sidewalk section is associated with.  Example: If a sidewalk has an associated road ID 13001, i want it to populate the sidewalk layer with the road name Plains Road East from the Road layer.  Is this possible to be done? Or can I use a proximity selection to populate the street name?

Thanks,
Trevor C
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
You are describing a Join.
0 Kudos
TrevorClark
New Contributor
Yes, will this enable me to have the field automatically grab the road names from the road layer and put them in a field of my choosing in the sidewalk layer?
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
Joins temporarily move pieces of data from one table (streets) into corresponding rows from another table (sidewalks), based on some common piece of data (ID numbers). Once there you can use the field calculator to permanently move what you want (street names) to where you want it (the column of your choosing in sidewalks).
0 Kudos