Line feature class with two shape lengths?

04-09-2013 09:39 AM
RamonGallegos
New Contributor III
I have a line feature class in a file geodatabase that somehow spawned a second shape length. So there  is Shape_Length and Shape_Length_1. I would like to delete Shape_Length_1, however, it appears the geodatabase thinks it is part of the feature's geometry and wont make the field available for deletion. How can I delete this erroneous, redundant field?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
I had this problem before. I wound up exporting it to a shape file, deleting the offending fields, then exporting the shape file back into the file geodatabase. Just make sure you delete all of the "SHAPE_*" fields from the shape file or you'll have the same problem again.
0 Kudos
RamonGallegos
New Contributor III
I had this problem before. I wound up exporting it to a shape file, deleting the offending fields, then exporting the shape file back into the file geodatabase. Just make sure you delete all of the "SHAPE_*" fields from the shape file or you'll have the same problem again.

Thanks Michael. I thought about doing that but it seems that process might introduce more problems. The line feature class takes part in a complex geometric network and is also part of some modeling efforts. I would hate to disrupt those two items in order to simply delete one, unnecessary attribute field.
0 Kudos