Landsat data and Vector data

12-03-2014 10:57 PM
AngelaKetel
New Contributor

Folder structure:

Data Folder

LandSat Folder     Geodatabase

Landsat File                    Feature Dataset

Feature Class (Vector Polygon)

When I drag the Landsat and vector polygon to the map, I have to zoom to each layer and can only see one at a time.  I would like to be able to place the polygon (my region of interest) over the landsat image so I can focus in on that area.  Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  Both have the same projection.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the the Define Projection tool was used (or similar approach) was used to establish one or the other's spatial reference it was done wrong.  Define Projection is only used when you get a warning that a file doesn't have a defined coordinate system...the program will gleefully allow you to add it and most people ignore it or decide to use the tool to tell the program what they want it to be ... but not what it is.  Put each file in separate, new data frames, zoom to the extent of the layer and examine the coordinates...If they occupy different extents...then one or both are wrong.

ElliottRobinson
New Contributor III

You can also right click the polygon/raster separately and select Properties (at the bottom) and then select the Source tab.

The numbers you are interested in are in the Extent box, marked Top - Left - Bottom - Right.

Report back if you don't know what the numbers mean.