Labeling Address Ranges on Map Book

08-12-2015 10:24 AM
MichaelRobinson1
New Contributor III

I would like to place labels along roads showing the range of the addresses.  I don't want to label the range values at intersections but to use a preset value.  Such as 500, 1000, 1500, etc.  So if you were following "Smith Rd" along on the map you could see the range you were in. I need to do this for multiple jurisdictions thus several map books for which an automated process would be most valuable.

Since many addresses are milepoint based I had considered using various tools to create points along a line this but it doesn't work in part because many ranges don't start at zero and it won't handle block style address ranges.

Other option I considered is to use a table with the address ranges of each road and create fake addresses for each value I want. Eg. 500 Smith Rd, 1000 Smith Rd, 1500 Smith Rd etc. until the ranges available are exhausted.  This table could then be geocoded and would create the point shp file I could use to label with. As you could imagine this is a very time consuming process doing a lot of sorting and cutting and pasting in Excel for each jurisdiction set I want to create.

A method to create points of pre-selected values along a line based on standard address range coding (Left From, Left To, Right From, Right To) would be most helpful.

Any guidance is very appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Example Cartographic Result Desired.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Do you have a field that has address already in, just not rounded to the block number? If you do you could use a label expression like below.

def FindLabel ( [FROMLEFT] ):
  a = float([FROMLEFT] )
  return int(round(a,-2))
0 Kudos
MichaelRobinson1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick response Wes.

I think that would work if I only needed a label. However I don't believe it will place the Label in the correct position along the road.  It will only label as to were I define that file to place labels relative the the line it is an attribute to.

I need something to generate a point file that will the specific labels to be placed in the correct location.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos