join/ merge most suitable polylines

Jump to solution
02-27-2017 05:54 AM
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Hello once again,

I have hopefully the last question to finish my project with ArcMAP. I would be thankful, If I would get a support once again.

I have some polylines (layer1), which are connected at one point. A second lacer is a polyline, too. These polyline is connected at this point, too and goes along of one of the other lines (but don’t overlap them exactly)

Now I want join or merge the single polyline with the best fitting other line. Means with the most overlapping.

Unfortunately I have this scenario 300 times in my project. For that reason I prefer a toolbox solution. But I don’t know which tool is the right one or how to solve my problem.

Do you have any idea? Thank you so much!!!!

Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

If you have an Advanced license and at least ArcMap version 10.3 you can use the Detect Feature Changes tool to handle your problem.  The Conflation toolset also contains tools that can be applied to this problem, like the Transfer Attributes tool.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello Andeas,

Good to hear from you once again. A few screenshots of the overlay of the two layers might help. And I am still not clear what you are exactly looking to achieve.

Think Location
0 Kudos
AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta,

I am so relieved, that you are disposed tackling my Problem again. Thank You!!!

first, the screenshot:

It is an intersection with two different layers. In two accesses, the elements of the both layers overlap (almost)

In the attribute table of the green line are information, which I like to transfer to the suitable elements of the red polylines. All elements are splitted in the blue point. It means that they are all connected there. So I would like to transfer the information from the green line in the south of the point to the red line in the south of the point and from the green-east to the red-east.

The near-tool doesn’t seem to fit, because the distance of all layers is 0, because of the connection in one Point. 

Do you know what I mean? I hope so!

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

If you have an Advanced license and at least ArcMap version 10.3 you can use the Detect Feature Changes tool to handle your problem.  The Conflation toolset also contains tools that can be applied to this problem, like the Transfer Attributes tool.

AndreasGriessbach
New Contributor III

Hello Richard,

At first: Sorry for my late response! Until this morning I still used Arcmap 10.0 … but unfortunately not the advanced version. So neither the Detect Feature Changes tool nor the Transfer Attributes tool was available for me. But a call to our university’s software administration made it possible, that I got the 10.4 advanced version since few hours.

AND: The Detect Feature Changes tool is absolutely great. Because of the CHANGE_TYPE its easy to differ between layer-fittings. The tool is exactly what I hoped to find.

Thanks a lot!

Andreas