Issue with sdetable on PostgreSQL

02-11-2011 06:23 AM
JohnReiser
New Contributor III
I'm having an issue with sdetable on RHEL. I'd like to use sdetable to create some spatial views.

I've used sdesetup to create and configure PostgreSQL GDBs on my Linux server, so I know I've installed SDE correctly and the .so libraries are in the correct locations.

The error I receive is this:
 Error: Underlying DBMS error (-51).
 Error: Could not create a connection on server gis, for user gisadmin.

Extended DBMS error code: -51
ERROR:  cross-database references are not implemented: "sde.sde.sde_server_config"

Do I have the permissions wrong in the DB? Is there something misconfigured? The error is the same for any operation; I also tried creating the join using sdetable and then tried making the view in psql, then registering it with sdetable.

For testing this out, I just wanted to make a view that is a subset of a larger parcel feature class. Here's what I'm putting in at the command line:
sdetable -o create_view -T just_glassboro -t parcels -c * -w "mun = '0806'" -s gis.rowan.edu -D newjersey -u gisadmin

Of course, it fails with the error above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnReiser
New Contributor III
It seems that if I specify the instance as "-i sde:postgresql:gis" everything is happy.

I've looked around for documentation on how SDE handles connections and I didn't see specifying it as such from the command line. Is there recent documentation on how ArcSDE handles connections? Re-reading through the documentation hasn't made things clearer for me.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
That '-i' syntax is for a Direct Connect connection; Direct Connect success indicates that your
application server (giomgr daemon, started by 'sdemon -o start') is configured incorrectly.

There isn't a whole lot of documentation on connections because there's not a lot of variation
possible.  All commands (and the two APIs) take five parameters (server, instance, database,
user, password).  The database parameter is mostly unused, since modern ArcSDE instances
are either linked to a single database or the RDBMS doesn't have them (Oracle).  The only
real variation is for Direct Connect, where the server is ignored, the instance changes to a
RDBMS-specific colon-delimited list (starting with "sde") and the password may require extra
parameters (on Oracle).

At this point I'd urge you to contact Tech Support; they can help you with establishing the
correct parameters in $SDEHOME/etc/dbinit.sde so that this error is not generated.

- V
0 Kudos