Issue with data reprojection

Jump to solution
10-05-2015 03:15 PM
DannetteWeiss1
New Contributor

I have a set of data that was in the following projection (two images with the projection info followed by an image of the extent):

Good1.png

good2.png

good-snip.PNG

This projection was, for the most part correct, except that it is in meters and not foot which I needed it in to match the projection of the other feature classes supplied by my organization. So I projected it by using Data Management Tools\Projections and Transformations\Project. In the Project Window I used the Layers feature within the Spatial Reference Properties to select the same projection that was being used by the other feature classes. I ended up with the following:

bad1.png

bad2.png

wrong-snip.PNG

As you can see the extent in this final image above is off and my points are way off. See below (green dots are correct while the purple are way off).

Capture.PNG

I tried to project the dataset back to the original but still places them in the wrong area. I am at a loss of how to correct this and don't understand why there is an issue as I used the same projection used by the other layers in my map.

Any idea on 1) what I did wrong and 2) how do I get them back to the correct location using NAD 83 Zone 12 and in Foot_US for linear measurement?

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm sorry about the late reply.

To me, it looks like you defined the projection (projected coordinate system) to be a UTM zone. Is that correct?

If so, that's not right, you need to define it as a geographic coordinate system, probably NAD 1983 aka North American Datum 1983. It's in the geographic coordinate systems, North America folder.

Melita

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

The Poles data is in latitude-longitude, decimal degrees. Redefine the coordinate system as NAD83 using the Define Projection tool or the data's property page in ArcCatalog.

Melita

DannetteWeiss1
New Contributor

Melita,

Thank you for the assistance! I did the Define but no change. Here's the results from the process (hopefully you can see enough of it):

DefineResults.PNG

Here's a screen shot post-Define:

DefinePic2.PNG

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
DavidMunyiri1
New Contributor

i guess  maybe its the coordinate system  that is wrong.let me check then i'll get back to you

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm sorry about the late reply.

To me, it looks like you defined the projection (projected coordinate system) to be a UTM zone. Is that correct?

If so, that's not right, you need to define it as a geographic coordinate system, probably NAD 1983 aka North American Datum 1983. It's in the geographic coordinate systems, North America folder.

Melita