Issue with Address Locator at 10.2

Jump to solution
02-24-2014 11:24 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I wanted to change the reference data for my address locator and I discovered I had to create a brand new address locator for this to work.  I did and now the new address locator which was created in sde.  In the settings it says style release 10.1.  I brought my old locator into the same sde and it indicates style release 10 and it works just fine however the other thing is that the reference data is from a file geodatabase rather than the sde.  What is the reasoning for this?  Is there a bug of some sort or am I missing something important?  I noticed this when I switched address locators in the Flex Viewer and it kept saying there were no matching results.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
1.  Open the properties of the locator (double click the locator or right click and select "Properties...").
2.  Expand the "Geocoding options" section.
3.  Set the "Match with no zones" property to "Yes".

The locator will now match to "2410 E CHESTNUT AVE".

Brad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I've switched back to the previous locator but even with it the performance is not as great as before.  This seems like it may be a problem related to 10.2.  Anyone have any insight into this?
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
First thing I want to note is that storing a locator in SDE will be much slower than storing it in a file folder.  It is recommended that you store the locator in a file folder.

Was there another question?  If so, I didn't quite understand it.

Brad
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I'll try moving it back out of SDE and post if there are still issues.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I have moved the locator out of SDE and the issue still remains, the reference data is an SDE feature class.  I experience the same behavior using this locator as a service and as the address locator directly in ArcMap.  When I use the Address Inspector tool everything works fine but when I try to type an address into the geocoding toolbar nothing happens, which I interpret to mean no results.  When I use the Locations tab in the Find tool, no matches are found and when I tried to geocode a list of addresses, there were no matches.  I uploaded Locator package in a zip file if anyone would like to check it out.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you clarify for me what the issue is?

Brad
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I'm not understanding the problem, how can I clarify that more, no matches are being returned when I use the new address locator, see the above post.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm not understanding the problem, how can I clarify that more, no matches are being returned when I use the new address locator, see the above post.

Can you give me an example address you are trying to enter?

Brad
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi folks,
I am having trouble finding the "correct" address locator style to use with the TIGER 2013 addrfeat shapefile for my county in NJ. I am wondering if I'm doing anything "wrong" in terms of saving or storing data. I have the addrfeat shapefile in a GDB, and I have directed Arcmap to save the address locator in the GDB. The problem is the dreaded RED X on the LH side of the screen after I select the addrfeat file as the Primary Table.

Is there anything I may be mssing in terms of storing data? I am an old dog (literally) who is finally trying to update my course directions to Arc10, including the use of file GDB for storage (vs conventional folders).

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

bill in nj

Hover over the RED X and reply with what the error is.

Brad
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
Can you give me an example address you are trying to enter?

Brad

Sure, 2410 E CHESTNUT AVE  I have reattached the zip file that now has a streets shapefile in it that goes along with the locator.  My reference data is in SDE but that doesn't seem to affect the behavior I am experiencing.  Perhaps you can replicate the behavior??  At least I hope so.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos