Is there a proper way to order a field column for lat and long ?

08-30-2017 12:09 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Is there a proper way to order column for latitude and longitude ? I have seen some people put their columns vice versa So, I am wondering if there is a proper way for this. So, would add for new column for latitude first and then longitude second ..but I am not sure...

Here is the example :

Another example here:

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't think think there is any specific order as such...generally we mention Lat ahead of Long...

however check this thread for a more formal response:

google maps - Preferred order of writing latitude & longitude tuples - Stack Overflow 

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As long as you are keeping the values in the columns correctly, the order shouldn't matter.

We usually write the coordinates as XY. So X (Longitude) could be placed before Y (Latitude) in an attribute table.

But there is no mandate that says Longitude should be placed before Latitude values.

Think Location
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

In order from XY   to LONG LAT  to UTM  should be like this  UTM Easting and UTM Northing ? Am I correct ?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes!

The terms easting and northing are geographic Cartesian coordinates for a point. Easting refers to the eastward-measured distance (or the x-coordinate), while northing refers to the northward-measured distance (or the y-coordinate).

Source: Easting and northing - Wikipedia 

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. Had to make sure it is correct... Phew... and thanks for the link too.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

It can go pretty confusing so that is why I got to be careful.

0 Kudos
IanFrakes1
New Contributor II

I've found that if I use field names XCOORD (Longitude) & YCOORD (Latitude) they are often automatically recognised by the software and pop up conveniently in selection boxes. It used to work that way in MapInfo.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes I saw that after I post this question and in a few hours later I looked it around and I saw that tool that does that .. It would be nice if they just label Longitude and Latitude instead of XCOORD and YCOORD...

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
IanFrakes1
New Contributor II

I consider 'Latitude and Longitude' as jargon, it confuses non-GIS colleagues and clients, virtually everyone knows which way up 'X and Y' are.

Because I don't use that terminology I forget which is which myself (I'm a Forester that does GIS, not the other way around) it wasn't until I read Dava Sobel's excellent book Longitude, that I can consistently remember Longitude is 'X'