Importing X,Y coordinates into Arc

03-07-2017 02:13 AM
ClaudiaF-M
New Contributor

I am trying to import X,Y coordinates into Arc though everytime I export them as a shapefile in the correct way they show up on the wrong area of my map. I have Landsat 8 multispectral imagery that I am using for my map and the X,Y shapefile shows up no where the map. 

Both are projected correctly into WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_30N and I have tried projecting the data into the imported WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_30N coordinate system too yet it still does not work!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

right- click on each layer, go to Properties to bring up the properties and find the 'extent'  write those numbers down.  If the extents don't overlap (ie east, west, north south) then one or both have been defined incorrectly.  If the data were original in geographic coordinates, then the range of values with be within the range -180 to +180 east west and 90- -90 North south.  UTM projected data will have big numbers because the units are in meters.  If you used the Define Projection at any step when you didn't get a warning about the coordinates do not have a defined projection, then you did it wrong.  Find out what the coordinates were, then define them back if necessary and then... and only then, do you use the Project or Project raster tool where appropriate

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

While adding the points from XY table, define the coordinate system as "GCS_WGS_1984" (geographic coordinate system) since (I assume) your coordinate values are in Decimal Degrees. The reason has been explained very well by Dan Patterson‌.

Also ensure

X= Longitude Values

Y= Latitude Values

Think Location