Import CAD to Geodatabase

12-17-2013 03:02 AM
MaryMulholland
New Contributor
I am trying to develop a process to upload CAD to GIS using the CAD to Geodatabase tool.  Why does a CAD drawing of a single closed polygon appear in ArcGIS as a Polyline and a Polygon?  I am using ArcGIS10.  Is it possible to just get the process to output the polygon feature?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdrienneMiller
New Contributor
Hi, I am also exploring a number of issues about data transfers from CAD (Autodesk Civil 3D 2013, 2014) to ArcGIS 10.1, am looking at forums today to see where are people doing same tasks, looking for some guidance myself.

I believe the answer to your question is NO, you are going to get the polylines and the polygons (and more), but once you are there at that stage you can export either or both of those in the data format you choose in ArcGIS.

However, I am not sure exactly about details of process you are using.  

Adrienne
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor

You can simply use the CopyFeatures or FeatureClass to FeatureClass GP tool and select the input as the Polygon feature class within the CAD drawing dataset.  You only need to use the CadToGeodatabase tool when you want to copy the entire contents of the CAD drawing to a geodatabase.

0 Kudos