I want to automate upstream accumulation

02-13-2013 05:20 AM
GuillaumeTurcotte
New Contributor
I�??m looking for a way to automate processes using a Geometric Network. Let me give you a little background on the project to make it easier to explain what it is I am trying to achieve.

I have a student who has the locations of wells in a large drainage basin in Pennsylvania. What he wants to determine is how many wells are upstream any given streams in the basin, which is a good amount of streams. What I thought of doing was creating a field in the streams network with the number of wells that are directly adjacent to that stream. Then, I could use this newly formed field to calculate the number of wells that get added along the network. That field would be the weight in the network and I would use something like Find Upstream Accumulation.

The problem is that I only know how to use the Find Upstream Accumulation option through the Utility Network Analyst toolbar, and to determine the accumulation of all the streams, I would have to run the tool on each streams. Is there a way to automate Find Upstream Accumulation so that the weight is added to all the lines on the network?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

I suggest you split your streams into two, at points from where you consider upstream and downstream well as appropriate for your study. Do the following when splitting: make sure you have same StreamID for both parts (line) of the split stream. Then, depending upon your upstream part or downstream part, add a text field, DirectionofStream that will say "upstream" or "downstream".

Next use the near tool, to get a count of points (wells) for each stream. The result will depend on your definition of nearness.

Later you can join summarize all your streams (lines) using StreamID and direction field.

regards,
0 Kudos