Select to view content in your preferred language

Hyphen in Street Name or Place Name

11-19-2011 11:12 AM
SophieGratton
Emerging Contributor
ArcGIS Desktop 10 SP3
Dual Range locator style

I am trying to customize the locator to be able to geocode an address that contains a street name that has a VALID hyphen in the reference data and I cannot get it to match 100% even if all the components of the incoming address and reference data records are identical. 

I need to geocode the following address and I get only 89.58%:

320 Boul René-Lévesque O, Chandler, QC

The ref data looks like this

From Left: 320
To Left 320
ADDR_PD:  null
ADDR_PT: Boul
ADDR_SN: René-Lévesque
ADDR_ST: null
ADDR_SD: O
City: Chandler
Province: QC

I have a similar problem with hyphens in the City.

The locator works as expected on records without hyphen.

I really need this to work ASAP!

Can someone provide any pointers as to what part of the XML should be modified for this to work.

Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I suggest you get rid of all the special characters in your data.  They are problematic for a number of reasons, geocoding not withstanding.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
SophieGratton
Emerging Contributor
Hyphens are not special characters in French. They are part of the official names and I need the user to see the official names in the match_addr when using the locator.  Any other suggestions?

Thank you
Sophie
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hyphens are not special characters in French. They are part of the official names and I need the user to see the official names in the match_addr when using the locator.  Any other suggestions?

Thank you
Sophie

Sorry Sophie- I didn't realize they were as important as they are;  we can get away with my solution here in the states....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
jeffduncan
Emerging Contributor

Thank you
Sophie

hello.. did you ever get a solution for this?

jeff
0 Kudos
MatthewOelschlegal
Occasional Contributor
Sophie,

The address locator engine yourlocator.lot.xml should contain the following which is supposed to make a space or hyphen interchangeable within the street name:

<!--Street name is defined as word with an optional hyphen in between words-->

<def name="name">
          <alt ref="word"/>
          <alt>
            <elt ref="word"/>
            <elt ref="name"/>
          </alt>
          <alt>
            <elt ref="word"/>-<elt ref="name"/>
          </alt>
        </def>

If this exists within the file I don't believe the hyphen is the problem.  To confirm if it is, geocode a sample set of data with the hyphen removed from both the reference data and the addresses to geocode then check the scores.

Matt
0 Kudos
MattFrancis
Occasional Contributor
Any fixes for this?  Looking through the locator.loc.xml file as MOelschlegal suggests looks like the code for accepting hyphens only operates on the street name and not the community name.

Sorry to resurrect a cold thread.
0 Kudos