So I'm a bit lost on what to do at this point. I have been working on an aggregate feature class which contains around 270 fields and most of my work was on quality assuring the data and some processing. Now that the data is ready to go I've been having to work with the metadata. One of the last steps we realized would be nice to have was some more descriptive aliases for my feature class's fields. I went into the Feature Class Properties and edited all the aliases to be how I want them, my issue is that they aren't being reflected in the Arcgis format metadata. Synchronizing the metadata using the supplied ArcToolbox "Synchronize Metadata" tool or importing the feature class metadata into another feature class hasn't worked. Any suggestions?
I've been told this is something I needed to do way earlier, like when creating the fields, but I didn't create the fields as most are from the US Census Bureau and it seems absurd that I can't change the aliases later.
I'm sure you've probably figured out a solution since its been almost 1.5 years since you asked this, but I'll post the answer here for anyone who is having the same problem.
With your situation, I'd recommend using this first method. However, if you ever need to manually change the Field Aliases in the metadata, then use the second method down below.
First Method: Synchronize with SELECTIVE option
Open up the Synchronize tool
Give the tool your feature class, choose the SELECTIVE option. This updates everything except for the Title of your Metadata.
Second Method: Manually Editing
Open up the metadata editor in ArcCatalog.
Second, go to the Fields section, Expand the drop downs to the field alias you want to update, update it, and then save your changes.
Once you've done that, the Field Alias in the metadata will stay the same even if you change the Alias in the Feature Class itself.