Select to view content in your preferred language

How to update last_edited_date field with values from existing date field?

Jump to solution
04-11-2013 05:55 AM
deleted-user-zpcJw1u0IXiO
Occasional Contributor
Yesterday I enabled Editor Tracking on a feature class for which we had always been manually tracking edits. The fc had three fields for this purpose:

DATE_ADDED
EDIT_DATE
EDIT_CMT

With Editor Tracking enabled, the new fields created_date and last_edited_date are added, but start out empty, so I need to calculate their values to match the existing values in DATE_ADDED and EDIT_DATE, so I can then delete those fields. How can I do this? I prefer the names of the new fields over the existing ones, so I can't just use the existing fields in the Editor Tracking setup. I also fear if in doing so, that I might lose existing values in those fields. Is there any way to achieve these goals?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Justin,

You are not able to edit the fields that are part of editor tracking. If you enable tracking and use the fields you previously maintained, the values should not be replaced. If you are uncertain, feel free to make a copy of your data and test first.

Also, at 10.1 you are able to change field names through stand-alone ArcCatalog.

Best,
Melanie S.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Justin,

You are not able to edit the fields that are part of editor tracking. If you enable tracking and use the fields you previously maintained, the values should not be replaced. If you are uncertain, feel free to make a copy of your data and test first.

Also, at 10.1 you are able to change field names through stand-alone ArcCatalog.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
deleted-user-zpcJw1u0IXiO
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Melanie. Yes, the reason for my post is precisely because of inability to edit editor tracking fields, hoping to learn of a back-end way to do it. Another idea I had after posting was instead to disable editor tracking, add a new field named as I want, and then calculate its value from the existing date field, then assign it to be used when I re-enable editor tracking. Your suggestion of renaming in ArcCatalog seems much simpler, though, so I'll give that a try! Okay, I did, and realized that when disabling Editor Tracking, the fields are still there. So I calculated them using values from the old fields, then re-enabled and deleted the old fields. All set now:D. Thank you!!

Hi Justin,

Best,
Melanie S.