How to select only part of the distribution of a DEM?

Jump to solution
01-25-2016 02:08 PM
EllenWildig
New Contributor III

I have a digital elevation model for a large proportion of the world and have clipped the data frame to only show the UK. However this only accounts for part of the height distribution. Is there a way to remove everything which doesn't fall within UK elevation?

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Are you looking to cookie cut the raster to the shape of the UK (I'm avoiding the term 'clip' because the raster Clip tool only accepts rectangles)? You can do this with Extract By Mask.

If I've totally missed the point, please provide a picture of your situation.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Are you looking to cookie cut the raster to the shape of the UK (I'm avoiding the term 'clip' because the raster Clip tool only accepts rectangles)? You can do this with Extract By Mask.

If I've totally missed the point, please provide a picture of your situation.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Actually, Clip (Data Management) has the option of preserving clipping geometry. The Raster will be clipped based on the perimeter of the polygon shape.

You need to keep the following option checked.

Think Location
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Oh, so it does. Thanks, Jayanta.

EllenWildig
New Contributor III

Hi, thanks for the replies. I had used Data Frame properties to clip down to the shape of another layer the shape of the UK. However I have since found another raster which suits my needs better. Thank you anyway, it's always helpful to learn more stuff 🙂

0 Kudos