How to monitor / summarize SDE network traffic?

05-17-2010 11:18 PM
StefanOffermann
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

are there any (free) tools available to monitor the traffic of a connection from ArcMap to a SDE? I am interested in calculating the total size of data transferred from SDE to ArcMap by (a) loading a layer, (b) opening the attribute table, (c) zoom to full extent, (d) pan a bit, (e) zoom a bit, etc.

In my testing environment, I have a MS SQL Express Database with ArcSDE, and ArcMap 9.3.1 on my development machine. I want to see how much network traffic is produced while executing the actions above.

Can the geodatabase toolset help me to monitor the network traffic?

Best regards, Stefan
0 Kudos
6 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Nothing in the ArcSDE API measures data flow.  The closest would be
using the SDEINTERCEPT environment, but then you'd need to parse
a few megabytes of trace files.

Your best tool for monitoring ArcSDE network traffic would probably be
a network analyzer. 

If you're using a Direct Connection, all the traffic is database-dependent,
so you might look at a RDBMS tool.

- V
0 Kudos
StefanOffermann
Occasional Contributor II
Thanks for the answer. Right now I am using Wireshark and monitor the TCP traffic between my laptop (ArcSDE, MS SQL Server Express) and a virtual image (with ArcMap). Anybody knows if all traffic is sent via TCP? (This is a Microsoft-specific question, because I use direct connect).
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Stefan,

Q) Can the geodatabase toolset help me to monitor the network traffic?
A) Unfortunately, the ArcGIS 9.3.1 release of the Geodatabase Toolset (GDBT) does not include the draw/fetch time functionality for ArcMap that was available in previous releases. It only includes functionality for ArcCatalog.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
OvidioRivero
New Contributor III
Derek or Vince,

Are there any new tools to monitor fetch and draw speed in ArcMap?

Thanks and Regards,

Ovidio
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Ovidio,

Good to hear from you again, I hope you are well.

Are there any new tools to monitor fetch and draw speed in ArcMap?

None to my knowledge. However, at 10.1 many new geodatabase administrative tools have been added to ArcCatalog such as:

• redesigned version manager dialog

• view and manage privileges on datasets

• view and remove connections from a GDB

• view and manage locks in a GDB

• block new connections to a GDB

More detailed info can be found here: What's new for databases and geodatabases in ArcGIS 10.1
(a login is required to access ArcGIS 10.1 resource center beta content)

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
OvidioRivero
New Contributor III
Hi Derek  good to hear from you as well,

Thanks for the link. Those are all good features. What I am looking for is a way to count fetch and draw speeds. I want to compare the performance at a client going against two different databases with  basically the same data.  We know can trace database performance with traces but I want a way to measure performance at the users workstation.  Like the fetch and draw tools in the old GDBT.

Thanks,

Ovidio
0 Kudos