How to load autocad drawing with hatch to GIS

11-26-2012 05:14 AM
DongkeYu
New Contributor
Hi,
I am new to GIS and my question might be basic but I did not find the solution.

I am working on compiling all the available information to one GIS map. Some of the autocad files are with hatch areas and they won't show in GIS as what they look like in autocad. There is always some hatch areas or symbols turn weird after I load them to GIS.

I am using ArcGIS 10 and Autocad is 2013 version. I usually saved autocad files to 2004 version before I load them to ArcGIS 10.

Thanks a lot!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola Dongke,

I understand exactly what you are seeing and would like to have the hatching of the polygons within ArcMap. Within CAD the polygons are typically reflected as hatching and most of the time not true polygons. The question I would need to ask first, if the hatching within ArcMap are represented as true polygons? If they are then all you would need to do is within the properties>symbology tab you can click the symbol and then assign a fill which would reflect a true hatching of your choice. If this does not reflect as a true polygon within ArcMap, then you will need to create one within ArcMap in an edit session, and then apply the fill to reflect as a hatch. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Gracias, Dongke!
0 Kudos
myname
by
New Contributor III

I think you can convert hatch to gis by symbol, here for you Convert hatch in CAD to GIS - YouTube 

0 Kudos