How to input attribute data quickly in ArcGIS?

12-21-2016 09:37 AM
AndriyMarchak
New Contributor II

Hello! Such situation: In ArcMap I select a polygon (in edit mode) and press the number keys from 0 to 9 on the keyboard an appropriate value recorded in the attribute table of selected polygons in a specified field..Is it possible to set hotkeys in ArcMap for this case? Is there any other ways to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The quickest way I can can think of (for individual inputs) is to work with Attribute tool (Editor Toolbar). Lock the dockable dialog box of the attribute tool for hassle-free editing of feature attributes.

Also see Keyboard shortcuts that can be used while editing.

Think Location
AndriyMarchak
New Contributor II

Thank's for yuor answr! I know all about attribute window and keyboard shortcuts that can be used while editing! But, believe me, it is still slowly when you need manually (without the automatic calculated) input data from 0 to 9 to 10,000 polygons per day! I wrote that for MapInfo exists this functionality as a hotkeys and it works very quickly and efficiently! So I want to realize this functionality for ArcMap! I would be very grateful for your help in this!

More about these problem see on a link:

arcmap - How to input attribute data quickly in ArcGIS? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Excha... 

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Andriy - Is this the functionality you're looking for? This specific tool is part of the parcel editor toolbar and only works on a parcel fabric. If this is what you're looking for perhaps it will help lead you to a non-parcel fabric tool that works the same way.

Assigning sequential parcel names—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

-Adam Z

AndriyMarchak
New Contributor II

Thank's for yuor answer. Adam! But this is not what I need! I do not work with the parcel fabric data! Everything is much easier! I have a layer "Build" with the field "Level_final" (long integer). In editing process I input value from 0 to 9 and for the convenience and speed I need "hot keys" that would be implemented next step: when typed on the keyboard any keys from 0 to 9 the same value prescribed in the field "Level_final". I can do it in window with feature attributes, but it is slower. I have a tool that performs that function for MapInfo and it is made in the form of hot keys. But since I work more in the ArcMap and wont have such "hotkeys" in ArcMap

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One more workaround is to create a table (Code_Lookup_Table) with the codes (0-9) and their description. While editing the features, input just the numbers. Once done, JOIN the Attribute table of the layer with the Code_Lookup_Table.

Think Location