How to assign multiple values to a single point field in arcmap

Jump to solution
02-02-2017 06:37 AM
AmyHarrigan
Occasional Contributor

I work for a utility company and we do a survey on our assets every year and was wondering if there was a way to stack dates into a field for 1 single point???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

Linking or stacking lots of data to a single point can be accomplished by data design using relates.  For example pictured below is a point field that is linked to an inspection table.  For any one point, we can have many inspections attached to the point.  In my geodatabase I have linked the Inspection table to Points.  In GIS I would use a relate to joint my points to the Inspection table linking on a common field found in both "LocationID".  After you use a relate if you click the point with the information button all of its "related" inspection will show for the one point.  Joins and relates

Using a personal geodatabase

There are other ways to address this issue including programming or the carefull use of joins.....

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TedKowal

Linking or stacking lots of data to a single point can be accomplished by data design using relates.  For example pictured below is a point field that is linked to an inspection table.  For any one point, we can have many inspections attached to the point.  In my geodatabase I have linked the Inspection table to Points.  In GIS I would use a relate to joint my points to the Inspection table linking on a common field found in both "LocationID".  After you use a relate if you click the point with the information button all of its "related" inspection will show for the one point.  Joins and relates

Using a personal geodatabase

There are other ways to address this issue including programming or the carefull use of joins.....

AmyHarrigan
Occasional Contributor

Ted,

Thank you for this advice. I will certainly try this method for my data design and creation.

0 Kudos
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Ted has the right idea.  Keep an 'Inspections' table in the geodatabase with a relationship to the asset.  Whenever the asset is inspected, update the 'Inspections' table with the date and any other attributes. 

0 Kudos
AmyHarrigan
Occasional Contributor

This worked great. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter

Could you mark Ted Kowal  Reply As Correct Answer

AmyHarrigan
Occasional Contributor

Done!

AbdullahAnter

You should mark Ted Kowal  answer , not your answer.

0 Kudos
DavidLok1
New Contributor

May I also add that relate works for 1-1 or 1-M relationships etc.. It is important to acknowledge this in the aspect of data design.