How do I get MDB file fields to a shape file?

Jump to solution
04-12-2016 10:55 AM
BrianBenton
New Contributor

I have a shape file with CAD linework (watermain pipe) and an MDB (from the local City GIS department for turnover) file with a table of headers that I need to apply to the shape file linework. How to I get the fields from the MDB file to my shape file?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I would append the features to the MDB feature class, then export back out to shapefile if you need it in that format. This will give you an empty table, with the fields you need, associated with your shapefile features.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Is your MDB file a personal geodatabase feature class or table?

0 Kudos
BrianBenton
New Contributor

It is a personal geodatabase.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Without any other information, it sounds like you may be able to use the Append tool. Append adds features from a feature class (your CAD linework) to another feature class (your personal geodatabase feature class), using the latter's table schema. You can match up fields between the two using the field map parameter.

0 Kudos
BrianBenton
New Contributor

The MDB file is empty. All it contains is the headers for the fields that I need to populate for each pipe in my CAD file (diameter, length, material, etc.) So I need those fields in my SHP file so I can fill in the data.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I would append the features to the MDB feature class, then export back out to shapefile if you need it in that format. This will give you an empty table, with the fields you need, associated with your shapefile features.

BrianBenton
New Contributor

This did the trick for me. I was able to append the CAD linework into the database then export the layer as a new shape file. I could load and manipulate the new shape file accordingly.

Thank you and everyone else that helped.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

You may want to check your mdb for domains. A quick tour of attribute domains—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

If the feature in the mdb is an empty line feature class (check with Catalog), you may be able to use the "load" function.

In what format is your input data, you saying it comes from CAD, but is it still like that?

Anyway, once you have the input sorted, right click on the target in Catalog, and select the option "load data".

This dialog also gives you the opportunity to map input and output fields.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Is this identical to Append?

0 Kudos