How do I fix the SHAPE.STArea/SHAPE.STLength issue?

2098
2
Jump to solution
05-02-2017 07:47 AM
Highlighted
Regular Contributor II

I'm trying to adopt the ArcGIS Addressing Assistant and running into issues.

I have the MXD downloaded. The ArcGIS Attribute Assistant and the ArcGIS Addressing Assistant are installed as well. However, my MXD is failing to draw layers constantly because of :

Editing Basemap:  9K:  FacilitySites_9K:  Attribute column not found [42S22:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'SHAPE_Area'.] [LocalGovernment2.SDE.FacilitySite]

So, at first, I was able to move through most of the layers and adjust the definition query or the label expression or the SQL expression for that layers labels. But then I hit the layer from the error message above, Facility Sites.

Nothing I do will get that layer to go. I've even tried unchecking it from the Table of Contents and it still throws an error.

I've found this referenced in another thread: https://community.esri.com/message/683982-re-shapestareafield-in-sql-2008 

Apparently it's part of a known bug that ESRI doesn't think is a priority.

If ESRI would like the City of Tulsa to adopt their Addressing solutions? It really should be bumped up a little? A solution is necessary or I have to give up on this process. We are trying to move to get our entire addressing data moved into the LGM, but this... this is a HUGE setback when every layer is messed up like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Regular Contributor II

So it would appear that our LGM DB is an upgraded one. And apparently, the required fields from ESRI don't translate correctly or get re-created with weird names or something. But... in the downloaded MXD when I reconnect to our upgraded LGM DB I keep getting drawing failed errors because the MXD is looking for SHAPE_Area or SHAPE_Length but in the LGM DB (built according to ESRI specs and Upgraded according to ESRI protocol) has SHAPE.STArea or SHAPE.STLength and so the layers crap out...

I finally corrected it by walking through each layer that had drawing errors and updating the Definition Query / Label Expression or Label SQL Expression to use SHAPE.STArea() instead of "SHAPE_Area" and voila... it works now...

Took me forever... But it's fixed and running now.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Regular Contributor

Just to test your workflow, I downloaded the 'ArcGIS Addressing Assistant', copied all the data to a new SQL Server Enterprise geodatabase> Delete the File gdb> Resource the layer in the MXD> Change the Definition Query as needed> Everything seems to be working fine and no error is thrown.

So my question would be, what is the SQL present in the Definition Query for that layer? or maybe I am missing some other necessary step?

I used ArcGIS 10.4.1, SQL Server 2014.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor II

So it would appear that our LGM DB is an upgraded one. And apparently, the required fields from ESRI don't translate correctly or get re-created with weird names or something. But... in the downloaded MXD when I reconnect to our upgraded LGM DB I keep getting drawing failed errors because the MXD is looking for SHAPE_Area or SHAPE_Length but in the LGM DB (built according to ESRI specs and Upgraded according to ESRI protocol) has SHAPE.STArea or SHAPE.STLength and so the layers crap out...

I finally corrected it by walking through each layer that had drawing errors and updating the Definition Query / Label Expression or Label SQL Expression to use SHAPE.STArea() instead of "SHAPE_Area" and voila... it works now...

Took me forever... But it's fixed and running now.

View solution in original post