How do I fix the SHAPE.STArea/SHAPE.STLength issue?

Jump to solution
05-02-2017 07:47 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to adopt the ArcGIS Addressing Assistant and running into issues.

I have the MXD downloaded. The ArcGIS Attribute Assistant and the ArcGIS Addressing Assistant are installed as well. However, my MXD is failing to draw layers constantly because of :

Editing Basemap:  9K:  FacilitySites_9K:  Attribute column not found [42S22:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'SHAPE_Area'.] [LocalGovernment2.SDE.FacilitySite]

So, at first, I was able to move through most of the layers and adjust the definition query or the label expression or the SQL expression for that layers labels. But then I hit the layer from the error message above, Facility Sites.

Nothing I do will get that layer to go. I've even tried unchecking it from the Table of Contents and it still throws an error.

I've found this referenced in another thread: https://community.esri.com/message/683982-re-shapestareafield-in-sql-2008 

Apparently it's part of a known bug that ESRI doesn't think is a priority.

If ESRI would like the City of Tulsa to adopt their Addressing solutions? It really should be bumped up a little? A solution is necessary or I have to give up on this process. We are trying to move to get our entire addressing data moved into the LGM, but this... this is a HUGE setback when every layer is messed up like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianO_keefe

So it would appear that our LGM DB is an upgraded one. And apparently, the required fields from ESRI don't translate correctly or get re-created with weird names or something. But... in the downloaded MXD when I reconnect to our upgraded LGM DB I keep getting drawing failed errors because the MXD is looking for SHAPE_Area or SHAPE_Length but in the LGM DB (built according to ESRI specs and Upgraded according to ESRI protocol) has SHAPE.STArea or SHAPE.STLength and so the layers crap out...

I finally corrected it by walking through each layer that had drawing errors and updating the Definition Query / Label Expression or Label SQL Expression to use SHAPE.STArea() instead of "SHAPE_Area" and voila... it works now...

Took me forever... But it's fixed and running now.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Just to test your workflow, I downloaded the 'ArcGIS Addressing Assistant', copied all the data to a new SQL Server Enterprise geodatabase> Delete the File gdb> Resource the layer in the MXD> Change the Definition Query as needed> Everything seems to be working fine and no error is thrown.

So my question would be, what is the SQL present in the Definition Query for that layer? or maybe I am missing some other necessary step?

I used ArcGIS 10.4.1, SQL Server 2014.

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe

So it would appear that our LGM DB is an upgraded one. And apparently, the required fields from ESRI don't translate correctly or get re-created with weird names or something. But... in the downloaded MXD when I reconnect to our upgraded LGM DB I keep getting drawing failed errors because the MXD is looking for SHAPE_Area or SHAPE_Length but in the LGM DB (built according to ESRI specs and Upgraded according to ESRI protocol) has SHAPE.STArea or SHAPE.STLength and so the layers crap out...

I finally corrected it by walking through each layer that had drawing errors and updating the Definition Query / Label Expression or Label SQL Expression to use SHAPE.STArea() instead of "SHAPE_Area" and voila... it works now...

Took me forever... But it's fixed and running now.