How do I continue editing a polygon feature?

Jump to solution
03-28-2012 09:41 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
All,

I was recently doing a bit of editing and discovered that ArcGIS 10 did not continue an edit sketch from when you last finished (oops that was a bit of an oversight) but it looked like they knocked out a solution which was the Continue Feature tool that I found in the Help file.

Works a treat with polylines but what about the polygon?

Attached is a screen shot. I create a polygon, go into edit vertices mode and select the Continue feature button. The polygon does not display the last red vertex so it does not matter what I do I end up creating a multipart polygon which is not what I want. Am I missing a step (if so will some one shoot me down in flames and put me out of my misery), or is this a bug? All I want to do is pick up from where I last finished, this use to be standard in 9.3

I'm using ArcInfo, ArcGIS 10 with SP3.

Duncan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
If you modify (edit vertices command) an existing polygon, the end point you see (the red dot) isn???t always the last point you originally digitized in the sketch that created it. This is because we simplify the polygon before storing it, to ensure topological consistency, which can re-order the vertices. The editor has always done this. Since It doesn???t make sense continue the polygon from an arbitrary end point we decided to create a multipart polygon instead when using the continue features tool in 10.
To ???continue??? an existing polygon you should either use reshape or autocomplete with a merge.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
If you modify (edit vertices command) an existing polygon, the end point you see (the red dot) isn???t always the last point you originally digitized in the sketch that created it. This is because we simplify the polygon before storing it, to ensure topological consistency, which can re-order the vertices. The editor has always done this. Since It doesn???t make sense continue the polygon from an arbitrary end point we decided to create a multipart polygon instead when using the continue features tool in 10.
To ???continue??? an existing polygon you should either use reshape or autocomplete with a merge.
0 Kudos
EdithFergus
New Contributor
If you modify an existing polygon, the end point you see isn�??t always the last point you originally digitized in the sketch that created it
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
I've been using ArcGIS since it existed and its funny what you don't use, never used that reshape tool! But this does what I need so that is the solution, thank you.
0 Kudos