How can I read a .img DEM in ArcGIS, i.e. extract elevations in all (random) points?

10-22-2013 12:55 PM
Robertde_Boer
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm am working with a DEM, a .img file. I'm using it as a DEM for a civil engineering (hydraulic engineering) design for a certain bay area.
Now I really want to see the elevations of the banks of the bay, at all (random) points. How can I do that? Which tool do I need and what should I do?

I have installed ArcGIS 10.1.

Thanks a lot,
Robert
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DouglasSands
Occasional Contributor II
If you have Spatial Analyst, then you can use Extract Raster Values to Points

- Doug
0 Kudos
Robertde_Boer
New Contributor
Doug,

Thanks.
I don't have the spatial analyst toolbox yet, but it should have that very soon.

Robert
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
You could symbolize the DEM according to elevation for visualisation.

The Identify tool can be used to click on individual pixels within the DEM to return an elevation value. It's the I symbol in a blue circle in the blues tool bar.

Is this what you mean or do you have a points layer you want to extract values to?
0 Kudos
Robertde_Boer
New Contributor
You could symbolize the DEM according to elevation for visualisation.

The Identify tool can be used to click on individual pixels within the DEM to return an elevation value. It's the I symbol in a blue circle in the blues tool bar.

Is this what you mean or do you have a points layer you want to extract values to?

Mark,
This is what I meant, but I think it is better to extract values of elevation to a points layer. But I don't have the points layer yet. How would I make such a layer?
And then, how would I extract elevation values to this layer?
Thanks
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
Mark,
This is what I meant, but I think it is better to extract values of elevation to a points layer. But I don't have the points layer yet. How would I make such a layer?
And then, how would I extract elevation values to this layer?
Thanks

Do you mean you want to convert all the individual raster cells from the DEM into points? There's the Raster to Point tool in the Conversion Toolbox in ArcToolbox. The elevation values will be held in the datasets attribute fields.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Raster_to_Point/001200000007000000/
0 Kudos