Hidden characters display when editing table record

Jump to solution
05-23-2014 07:55 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ericertl

I have a polygon feature class that has acquired attributes from a joined excel spreadsheet.  The date field has to have a field type of text because there could be many different dates for the one record.  I used the field calculator to transfer the dates to a new text field (from a date type field) and when I double-click to edit the attribute in the new field more characters display (See Screenshots).  I tried copying and pasting the complete string but it still only pastes what is displayed when not selected.  Has anyone experienced something like this before?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jimcousins

A shot in the dark, but maybe there are carriage returns and those other data are in that cell, but below visibility? Try going under Appearance in the Table menu, and increase the cell height.
Regards,
Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jimcousins

A shot in the dark, but maybe there are carriage returns and those other data are in that cell, but below visibility? Try going under Appearance in the Table menu, and increase the cell height.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
LukeHardy
New Contributor II
I suspect Jim is right. I just tested this by pasting data with manual line breaks from Excel into an attribute table and I could replicate your problem (see attached screenshots)

You can fix this by cleaning your Excel data before joining it, either by doing a search and replace for line breaks (ASCII 10, hold Alt and type 0010) or using the =Clean() function.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ericertl

Thanks for the response.  That worked perfectly!  Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos